|Clock on Ilford
The accuracy of some of these cannot be guaranteed!!
- One of the best specimens of a mammoth was found in Ilford,
and the only one with a complete skull. You can see it in the
Natural History Museum (thanks
- You know Dick Turpins wife stayed in Ilford, next to the Turpin
pub in Newbury park. The house still stands and is in poor repair.
- St Peters church in Aldbourgh Road North, Newbury Park has something
quite amazing. In its Christian graveyard is berried a Jewish
American airline pilot who served protecting this county from
the sky above from the Germans who were bombing us. He was shot
down in the last world war. A Jew in a Christian grave, maybe
the only one of its kind in the UK. Both Jews and Chritians respect
there loved ones in this graveyard. It goes to show that multicultural
Britain may have been started not by politicians or diplomats
- but by the good people of Ilford. (thanks
- There is an underground tunnel that links Barkingside police
station with the magistrates court over the road. It goes right
under the hight street !! Its so they can transfer the prisioners
without hassle. I suppose you never see the police
crossing the road there !!! (thanks
- Iron Maiden were from Ilford. (thanks
- Louise Weener from Sleeper (the indie band) was from Gants
Hill. (thanks Marc)
- Winston Churchill slept in the library of Woodford County High
School (thanks Nikki)
- Noel Edmonds went to The Glade Primary School, dropped in quite
literally a few years ago in a helicopter.
- Two trains with nuclear waste pass through Ilford every week!
- Ian Durie was at the Gants Hill cinema in 1978 when the floor
- Paul Ince used to live in Ilford, Trevor Brooking went to Ilford
County High School.
- Jenny Powell (Wheel of Fortune) went to Woodford County High
- The huge multinational photographic company (Ilford Imaging)
started out here in Ilford! They were located where the Ilford
Sainsbury's is now. (thanks Mike)
- Barnardos, the charity for children is based in Barkingside.
- Ilford was mentioned in a Kelloggs Cornflake ad!! (as at 5/2/2001).
It features a broadcast journalist on location who hasn't had
his cornflakes. Ive only heard it once on the radio, but Newsreader
says something like: 'And over we go to outside Ilford Town Hall'.
The journalist replies 'Ilford town hall? I thought you meant
Guildford Town Hall'.
- Vincent Hitchcock, the first English Bullfighter in Spain
(a.k.a. El Inglesi) went to school in Ilford. (thanks
- Jo from S Club 7 was a performer at Wild Jack Henry's before
she became famous. (thanks Ian)
- Nigel Benn, the former World Middleweight Boxing champ, is from
Ilford. In fact I remember him being announced in some of his
fights in Las Vegas as Nigel Benn fighting out of Ilford, England!!!
- Sean Maguire (as a child was in Grange Hill, as an adult was
in Eastenders and Dangerfield, and then launched a brief pop career)
came from Ilford. (thanks Angel)
- Maggie Smith, winner of 2 Oscars, 5 BAFTAs, 2 Golden Globes
and 1 Emmy is from Ilford.
- See a list of actors/actresses from Ilford on the Internet
- Ted Blake was one of the first PE teachers to pick up on trampolining
and subsequently became a global name in the trampolining world
- he taught at Loxford School and one of his most successful students,
(Pat Winkle) who went on to become British champion in 1963, was
from Ilford as well. (thanks David)
Ian Durie and Jenny Powell facts were found on
Guide to Ilford