Ilford Essex in Redbridge Greater London

Photos of Ilford Town Hall, Clock on Ilford High Road and The Exchange
You have found 'Welcome to Ilford' - the modern way to find out what's happening in Ilford, Essex and Redbridge Enjoy the message board.

Current Events
Find-a-Friend
Reviews
Ilford Facts
Need more info?
Feedback

This board is reactively moderated. If there is questionable content please use the Report to Moderator button next to the offending post. Keep this a friendly and positive place. Members may be banned who do not keep to the spirit of the forum. Posters must agree to the Rules.

Ilford Discussion board
« Ilford Discussion board - Ilford - day by day »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.

Home | Help | Search | Members | Login | Register

Ilford Discussion board
   Main Messageboard
   Main
(Moderator: Nigel R - Admin)
   Ilford - day by day
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Send Topic | Print
   Author  Topic: Ilford - day by day  (Read 1721 times)
Pompadour
YaBB God

View Profile |

Ilford - day by day
« on: Apr 19th, 2016, 9:08am »
Report to moderator | Quote | Modify | Like this!

Come on Ilfordians, what's happening in dear old Ilford today, keep us updated on the dear old town. Grin
IP Logged
Scribbles
YaBB God

View Profile |

Re: Ilford - day by day
« Reply #1 on: Apr 20th, 2016, 11:59am »

TBH, Pompey, I'm not well-up in local news myself even though I live here. Too many other things going on in my life just now.. However, there's been the usual crop of road accidents and incidents, crashes on the N. Circ and drivers failing to stop at zebra crossings, etc. The MP for Ilford North says he has evidence that A&E at King George hospital will be closed soon at nights; hospital radio at Goodmayes has closed down after their studios got flooded and they ran out of money. The developers of the planned flats development over the Exchange asked the council to postpone a planning meeting which would have decided whether or not the development can go ahead. They haven't said why except 'administrative reasons' or some such thing. A bunch of local residents around Roden Street are objecting to plans to build 700 new homes (yes, 700. That's not a typo) on the Sainsbury's site and who would blame them?
In other words: SNAFU!
IP Logged

Born free.... now I'm expensive.
Pompadour
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #2 on: Apr 21st, 2016, 9:06am »

on Apr 20th, 2016, 11:59am, Scribbles wrote:
TBH, Pompey, I'm not well-up in local news myself even though I live here. Too many other things going on in my life just now.. However, there's been the usual crop of road accidents and incidents, crashes on the N. Circ and drivers failing to stop at zebra crossings, etc. The MP for Ilford North says he has evidence that A&E at King George hospital will be closed soon at nights; hospital radio at Goodmayes has closed down after their studios got flooded and they ran out of money. The developers of the planned flats development over the Exchange asked the council to postpone a planning meeting which would have decided whether or not the development can go ahead. They haven't said why except 'administrative reasons' or some such thing. A bunch of local residents around Roden Street are objecting to plans to build 700 new homes (yes, 700. That's not a typo) on the Sainsbury's site and who would blame them?
In other words: SNAFU!

Hi Scribbs, thank's for that. When you say the "Sainsbury's Site", does that mean it is now gone?
IP Logged
Scribbles
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #3 on: Apr 21st, 2016, 12:02pm »

Sainsburys is still there, Pompey but it's a pretty ugly 70s building with a lot of un-lovely and wasted space around it. I think Sainsburys see a future in re-developing the whole space for housing with a rebuilt supermarket incorporated into it. I must admit I haven't paid much attention to these proposals so far so when I get a moment maybe I'll start delving into back issues of the Recorder online. If I can be bovvered, that is.

More news from the Ilford area: a group in Barkingside arranged a 'hustings'last week with all the local candidates for the Greater London Assembly. The UKIP chap failed to show up without a word of apology or explanation. He really wants our vote then...
And finally, the ducklings have hatched at the Lambourne End Centre!
IP Logged

Scribbles
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #4 on: Jun 7th, 2016, 3:23pm »
Report to moderator | Quote | Modify | Like this! | 1 person likes this

For those who haven't been to Ilford recently, I decided to post these pics which were taken from Sainsburys' roof at one of Maxwell's local history talks (in another thread).  

This is just a general view looking towards the junction of Ilford Lane/Winston way during a brief lull in the traffic.  It's only when you see this site from a 'different' angle that it registers how ugly and brutalist it all looks. From day to day at street level, it's just part of the wallpaper and you don't really see it at all.  When I went to the former East Berlin a couple of years ago, I expected it to look much like this. It doesn't. It's infinitely more attractive.

And here are our own infamous twin towers. A slightly skewed angle but I had to bend over backwards to get them all in!

And this is what the visitor to Ilford sees at the base of this "prestigious" and "iconic" development as he/she sits waiting for the traffic lights in the one-way system.  It's been like this for longer than I can recall. If I was that visitor, I'd probably just drive on through!
IP Logged

Feenix
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #5 on: Jun 8th, 2016, 2:13am »

Come now Scribs,I'm surprised you don't recognise early 21st century design when you see it.The white sheeting is a symbolic representation of 'Punk Art'.Get with it woman !  ROFL
IP Logged

Bring back flower power(it's cheaper) !
Scribbles
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #6 on: Jun 10th, 2016, 5:37pm »

D'oh!  Shucks! I'm such a Philistine!
IP Logged

Pompadour
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #7 on: Jun 10th, 2016, 7:07pm »

on Jun 10th, 2016, 5:37pm, Scribbles wrote:
D'oh!  Shucks! I'm such a Philistine!

Is that in Essex?  Grin
IP Logged
Scribbles
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #8 on: Jun 10th, 2016, 8:51pm »

on Jun 10th, 2016, 7:07pm, Pompadour wrote:

Is that in Essex?  Grin

A group of islands in the Pacific, I think ...
IP Logged

Feenix
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #9 on: Jun 13th, 2016, 12:55am »

Isn't it a type of plastic ?  
IP Logged

Bring back flower power(it's cheaper) !
Toby
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #10 on: Jun 13th, 2016, 4:53pm »

Duke of Edinburgh's stomach?
IP Logged
Pompadour
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #11 on: Jun 16th, 2016, 4:22pm »

Having thought abart it, I think it won the Grand National in the thirties.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Send Topic | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »