Ilford Essex in Redbridge Greater London

Photos of Ilford Town Hall, Clock on Ilford High Road and The Exchange
You have found 'Welcome to Ilford' - the modern way to find out what's happening in Ilford, Essex and Redbridge Enjoy the message board.

Current Events
Find-a-Friend
Reviews
Ilford Facts
Need more info?
Feedback

This board is reactively moderated. If there is questionable content please use the Report to Moderator button next to the offending post. Keep this a friendly and positive place. Members may be banned who do not keep to the spirit of the forum. Posters must agree to the Rules.

Ilford Discussion board
Ilford Discussion board - EU and Ilford
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.

Home | Help | Search | Members | Login | Register

Ilford Discussion board
   Main Messageboard
   Main
(Moderator: Nigel R - Admin)
   EU and Ilford
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Send Topic | Print
   Author  Topic: EU and Ilford  (Read 1590 times)
Pompadour
YaBB God

View Profile |

EU and Ilford
« on: Feb 21st, 2016, 9:51am »
Report to moderator | Quote | Modify | Like this!

Crunch time, how will you vote. For me, the damage is done. I want my government to control my country, it's laws and it's way of life. The only thing I want from Brussels are sprouts and pate. Grin
IP Logged
Toby
YaBB God

View Profile |

Re: EU and Ilford
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21st, 2016, 7:48pm »

Difficult one for me.
On the one hand I have property abroad in an EU country and I'm not sure how i wuld be treated if we left.On the other hand I hate the way our freedoms have been taken away and we have to bow to Brussels.
Harking back to WW2 we helped free all the countries that are trying to shackle us and it doesn't sit well with me.
I'm on the fence and I don't like it... I want to say exit but I'm not sure .
Totally not me.... I'm normally either black or white.
IP Logged
Pompadour
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #2 on: Feb 22nd, 2016, 10:46am »

I am not happy with the statement th PM made yesterday saying " if we exit the EU, we will still have to pay into the EU and we will not be able to stop migrants."
WW2 was about someone else wanting to rule Europe, a little frenchman wanted the same thing, all that's changed is that it is a group instead of an individual who wants to rule. Rule Britania.
IP Logged
Scribbles

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 22nd, 2016, 6:30pm »
Report to moderator | Quote | Modify | Remove | Like this!

Like Toby, I'm on the fence.  I used to be very pro-EU and in favour of ever closer union but now it's got too big to be manageable.
I wish they'd give us a third option: In, Out or rewind to when there were only 12 members.  The 16 excommunicated members would of course be free to form their own alliance or trading group or whatever they wanted to call it but I suspect that without the largesse of the more prosperous nations falling into their laps, they'd lose all interest.
I don't think that even David Cameron actually believes in his "concessions"; he's just desperately hoping that the rest of us are gullible enough to swallow the spin.
I'm veering more and more toward 'out' - but I wish I wasn't.
IP Logged
Pompadour
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #4 on: Feb 22nd, 2016, 8:34pm »

I have lost all trust in this government, no money in the pot for this no money in the pot for that , but they can come up with 20 million to spend on teaching muslim women to learn english, something they should be learning before they get here.
IP Logged
ktype
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #5 on: Mar 2nd, 2016, 9:22pm »

I think we have to be careful here not to cut off our nose to spite our face.

The 'Outers' tell us that we will still be able to trade with Europe - which would mean a trading agreement like the one that countries like Switzerland have. They trade freely with the EU and are outside the Shengen area but their side of the agreement means that they have to follow all the orders that come out of Brussels but with no voice inside the EU.

I don't think the 'Outers' will accept that, so will have to trade with the EU in the same way that other countries do, which means we will be outside the EU's tariff barrier.

This will please the poorer countries in the EU in particular, as the EU will lose the contribution we make and seek to reclaim it from the other member states. However, if we continue to trade strongly with the EU, the tariffs we will be forced to pay will probably surpass our current contribution level - for a while.

What will happen to those large international companies who manufacture goods here for sale throughout Europe? They will now be at a great disadvantage compared with their competitors, so they will leave Britain and set up shop in the EU - possibly in one of those poorer countries where labour costs are low.

So, we end up with even more unemployment and no way of finding a solution to it.

Then we will really find out what Austerity means - and it won't be any good going to President Trump for a bail-out either!
IP Logged

When all else fails, read the instructions ...
Pompadour
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #6 on: Mar 3rd, 2016, 9:44am »

Food for thought there K.
IP Logged
ktype
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #7 on: Mar 3rd, 2016, 10:48am »

Well, well, I've never thought of myself as being clairvoyant but, just under an hour after I made my previous post, the very same choices were stated on the BBC1 10 o'clock News, although they chose Norway as their example.  

Something I hadn't realised is that countries like Norway and Switzerland still have to contribute to the EU as part of the free trade agreement, which explains Cameron's "if we exit the EU, we will still have to pay into the EU" quoted by Pompadour.

There is an alternative, apparently. Canada has some sort of free trade agreement with the EU but there are severe limits on what they can export - which doesn't sound very 'free' to me ...

Unfortunately, this wasn't expanded on.

All of this was presented in a very low key manner and I doubt many people took it all in - which is a pity, because I think it is important that everybody knows about these choices before they make their own choice at the ballot box.

They might have taken more notice of the letter that BMW have sent to all their employees at Roll Royce, warning that, if we leave the EU, they will have to review their production base.

I think, from this, that we can assume that plans for the permanent export of British jobs to Europe are well under way ...

Finally, I hope that the accuracy of my clairvoyance doesn't extend to the last line of my previous post ...
IP Logged

When all else fails, read the instructions ...
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Send Topic | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »