Ilford Essex in Redbridge Greater London

Photos of Ilford Town Hall, Clock on Ilford High Road and The Exchange
You have found 'Welcome to Ilford' - the modern way to find out what's happening in Ilford, Essex and Redbridge Enjoy the message board.

Current Events
Find-a-Friend
Reviews
Ilford Facts
Need more info?
Feedback

This board is reactively moderated. If there is questionable content please use the Report to Moderator button next to the offending post. Keep this a friendly and positive place. Members may be banned who do not keep to the spirit of the forum. Posters must agree to the Rules.

Ilford Discussion board
Ilford Discussion board - What's everyone thoughts on the bombing of Syria
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.

Home | Help | Search | Members | Login | Register

Ilford Discussion board
   Main Messageboard
   Main
(Moderator: Nigel R - Admin)
   What's everyone thoughts on the bombing of Syria
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Send Topic | Print
   Author  Topic: What's everyone thoughts on the bombing of Syria  (Read 2362 times)
Hambo
YaBB Full Member

View Profile |

What's everyone thoughts on the bombing of Syria
« on: Dec 4th, 2015, 8:46pm »
Report to moderator | Quote | Modify | Like this!

Clearly MPs from all sides of the house seemed to be split on this.  Do you think we're doing the right thing bombing Syria, it's just a token gesture from our government and nothing more, or bombing will just make things worse for both the people of Syria and the general safety of UK citizens.  What's your thoughts?
IP Logged
Scribbles

Email

Re: What's everyone thoughts on the bombing of Syr
« Reply #1 on: Dec 5th, 2015, 9:48am »
Report to moderator | Quote | Modify | Remove | Like this!

It's wrong, wrong, wrong!!! Many of the problems in that part of the world stem from the ongoing compulsion by European & US governments to interfere with the running of other regions. So why that plastic-faced dimwit at no.10 thinks this will help. is a mystery. Inevitably, ground troops will be sent in but they are always other people's children, spouses or parents, never the spluttering MPs who waffle on about the need to fight. ISIS,  ISIL, DAESH or whatever are being bred right here in western Europe and maybe they should be rooted out first instead of killing more people overseas and causing even more people to loathe us. Of course this stupid act of war has put a lol of us in greater danger and it is not being done in my name.
IP Logged
Latka_Gravas

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 5th, 2015, 10:36am »

How far are you prepared to let Islamic State spread before you think something should be done about it? I remember when the various wars were raging in the former Yugoslavia all the bleeding heart liberals complained that Western Europe and the US were not doing anything. When the West does get involved in such situations, these same people call them war criminals. So what is your solution? And please do not suggest negotiation. How do you negotiate with religious fanatics who want to be martyrs? Yes, there are home grown terrorists as evidenced in Paris. But where do they go for their training and weapons? When an atrocity eventually occurs on the streets of London you will no doubt blame the government's policies rather than the real culprits - fanatics who wish to destroy everything and everyone who do not share their beliefs. But people like that idiot Corbyn would rather talk to the enemy so that he can declare "peace in our time."
IP Logged
Pompadour
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #3 on: Dec 6th, 2015, 9:27am »

For once Latka you are talking sense.
IP Logged
Scribbles

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 6th, 2015, 10:31am »

I'm not any sort of a liberal and I think the only people to be blamed for fanaticism are fanatics themselves but 2 wrongs don't ever make a right. Yes,  there probably will be terrorist outrages in England but life will go on as it did during the Luftwaffe's best efforts in the 1940s and the IRA's campaigns of the 70s, 80s and 90s.
Maybe extreme Islam is just an idea whose time has come and, in much the same way as Christianity in earlier centuries,it will spread across continents through weight of numbers and force of arms? I want no part of any enforced ideology and will probably be among the first to be decapitated but that won't change my view that massive bombings of nebulous targets in faraway places is unjustifiable. A defence force to defend your own territory is a reasonable proposition so why not use them to defend the homeland by chucking out or shooting all those of unknown origin and belief who turn up in containers or underneath Eurostar trains? While you're at it, close down all religious schools; make English the compulsory language for all religious gatherings and acts of worship and deprive anyone thought to have attended terrorist training abroad of his or her citizenship.  
You can't negotiate with nutters but neither can you destroy their ideology with missiles. It will have to run its course until people grow tired of it and it withers and dies - or something even barmier takes its place
IP Logged
Latka_Gravas

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 6th, 2015, 12:16pm »

Wow, that's a really good solution, Scribbles - just ignore it and hope it will eventually go away. I wonder why no one ever thought of that before.
IP Logged
Scribbles

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 6th, 2015, 5:20pm »

Fine, Latka. You go ahead and strap on your sword and ride out on your crusade. That's your right if that's the way you feel but please don't expect me to think the world will necessarily be a better place for it. History is littered with grand military schemes which have achieved nowt but failure and unforeseen deaths.
IP Logged
Hambo
YaBB Full Member

View Profile |

« Reply #7 on: Dec 6th, 2015, 8:02pm »

I personally think that bombing is just a token gesture and will do very little and will cost the UK shed loads of money we don't have.  

The other nations have been bombing Syria for a while now and previously Iraq was being bombed and to what effect?

Innocent lives lost abroad, and I just wonder for the moderate people, how many would have been converted to extremist groups because of it.

If the UK or any nation for that matter wants any success then it would need to send in ground troops, the last thing that anyone wants but the only thing that I think is likely to have some impact.

I could be wrong, but was Jeremy Corbin not alluding to the fact that Cameron should be liaising with the other Islamic countries, Saudi Arabia, Turkey etc to bring an end to Isis.
IP Logged
ktype
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #8 on: Dec 23rd, 2015, 11:02am »

The trouble is that most, if not all, of these problems have their origins in the process whereby foreign intruders - like us - thought it an easy matter to divide up land masses we knew nothing about with a ruler and pen.

These split some tribes up and pushed other warring tribes together. So we lit the blue touch paper and waited to see what would happen. When it didn't do quite what we expected to do we started poking with a big stick, but that only made matters worse.

Unfortunately, unlike Windows, the earth doesn't have a function that allows it to be retored to an earlier configuration ...
IP Logged

When all else fails, read the instructions ...
Toby
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #9 on: Dec 23rd, 2015, 1:55pm »

Agree there with k-type.
I'm not averse to precision bombing but opposed to carpet bombing ,ala Vietnam war.
There will always be innocent deaths but I'm in favour of anything that disrupts, or better still, wipes out the fanatics.
IP Logged
Hambo
YaBB Full Member

View Profile |

« Reply #10 on: Jan 2nd, 2016, 4:23pm »

Really good point Ktype.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Send Topic | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »