Ilford Essex in Redbridge Greater London

Photos of Ilford Town Hall, Clock on Ilford High Road and The Exchange
You have found 'Welcome to Ilford' - the modern way to find out what's happening in Ilford, Essex and Redbridge Enjoy the message board.

Current Events
Find-a-Friend
Reviews
Ilford Facts
Need more info?
Feedback

This board is reactively moderated. If there is questionable content please use the Report to Moderator button next to the offending post. Keep this a friendly and positive place. Members may be banned who do not keep to the spirit of the forum. Posters must agree to the Rules.

Ilford Discussion board
« Ilford Discussion board - Old Sayings »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.

Home | Help | Search | Members | Login | Register

Ilford Discussion board
   Main Messageboard
   Main
(Moderator: Nigel R - Admin)
   Old Sayings
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply | Notify of replies | Send Topic | Print
   Author  Topic: Old Sayings  (Read 4516 times)
Pompadour
YaBB God

View Profile |

Old Sayings
« on: Oct 16th, 2015, 4:19pm »
Report to moderator | Quote | Modify | Like this!

One of my mums saying's when I was a lad was "stone the crows". Where that comes from, I just don't know. Any ideas anyone.
IP Logged
Scribbles

Email

Re: Old Sayings
« Reply #1 on: Oct 18th, 2015, 1:50pm »
Report to moderator | Quote | Modify | Remove | Like this!

You've probably Googled this yourself but I idled a few minutes away delving among some of those obscure language / origins websites and discovered that a lot of people have asked the same question but, so far, nobody has anything near a plausible answer.  It's like "Well, I'll go to the foot of our stairs!" - just an accepted exclamation of surprise or astonishment that's been around for many decades. I can add that, as somebody who grew up in the north of England and the east Midlands, I never heard "Stone the crows!" in daily use when I was younger.  I read the expression, heard it in radio and TV dramas, etc but it seemed to be a particularly "southern" phrase.
IP Logged
Pompadour
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #2 on: Oct 22nd, 2015, 8:26am »

This is like giving the kiss of life to a dead cabage.
IP Logged
Scribbles

Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 26th, 2015, 10:18am »

Good grief!  How do you know?  Have you tried?

Know what you mean though ... I've been away for a few days but this place certainly hasn't livened up in my absence ....
IP Logged
Pompadour
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #4 on: Oct 26th, 2015, 5:13pm »

on Oct 26th, 2015, 10:18am, Scribbles wrote:
Good grief!  How do you know?  Have you tried?

Know what you mean though ... I've been away for a few days but this place certainly hasn't livened up in my absence ....

Go anywhere nice Scribbs, hope you had good weather. Cool
IP Logged
Scribbles

Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 26th, 2015, 5:28pm »

I'm currently in West Wales, Pompey and the autumn colours are absolutely spectacular.  The weather is quite cool but not really cold and mostly dry.  The end of last week, I was in the pleasant village of Shifnal in Shropshire - a place where not much happens but there are some very nice spots to eat and drink!  
Alas, all good things must come to an end and I shall have to return to my cat-basket in Ilford soon but not before I've had a trip on the Vale of Rheidol railway which is a must-do for anyone with a ha'p'orth of interest in steam railways - sturdy little locos (little? they weigh 25 tonnes!) haul long passenger trains on a 24 inch gauge track up some very steep hillsides and it's an experience to savour!  
Oh dear - now I expect you-know-who will be along soon to moan about forum members with a anorakky enthusiasms!
IP Logged
Pompadour
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #6 on: Oct 27th, 2015, 8:47am »

Know what you man about steam, into it myself. Building myself a model railway layout based in the southwest where Southern, GreatWestern and the S & D meet. It's also about the history of the places the railway passes through.
IP Logged
Toby
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #7 on: Oct 27th, 2015, 6:29pm »

If we have breaks in england we always make sure there's a steam railway within easy driving distance
IP Logged
Scribbles

Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 30th, 2015, 5:37pm »

on Oct 27th, 2015, 8:47am, Pompadour wrote:
... Building myself a model railway layout based in the southwest where Southern, GreatWestern and the S & D meet...

That sounds good, Pompey.  Is it a garden railway or something smaller indoors? My favourite is N-gauge; there's something very endearing about those dinky little trains ...  As you're into model railways, can I recommend that, if you're ever within driving distance of Gainsborough in Lincolnshire, you try and fit in a visit to the Gainsborough Model Railway Society.  Their layout is superb, a condensed version of the East Coast Main Line from London to Leeds; it occupies 2500 square feet and requires 10 people to operate it!  Their website is http://www.gainsboroughmodelrailway.co.uk/index.html if you're curious.  

PS: I meant to add - the Vale of Rheidol railway was as good as ever and we managed to get seats in an open coach directly behind the loco for the uphill trip to Devils Bridge.  The sound effects were magnificent and, even in the pouring rain, it was an experience to savour :)
IP Logged
Pompadour
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #9 on: Nov 1st, 2015, 3:30pm »

on Oct 30th, 2015, 5:37pm, Scribbles wrote:

That sounds good, Pompey.  Is it a garden railway or something smaller indoors? My favourite is N-gauge; there's something very endearing about those dinky little trains ...  As you're into model railways, can I recommend that, if you're ever within driving distance of Gainsborough in Lincolnshire, you try and fit in a visit to the Gainsborough Model Railway Society.  Their layout is superb, a condensed version of the East Coast Main Line from London to Leeds; it occupies 2500 square feet and requires 10 people to operate it!  Their website is http://www.gainsboroughmodelrailway.co.uk/index.html if you're curious.  

PS: I meant to add - the Vale of Rheidol railway was as good as ever and we managed to get seats in an open coach directly behind the loco for the uphill trip to Devils Bridge.  The sound effects were magnificent and, even in the pouring rain, it was an experience to savour :)

Hi Scribbs, I went to the link you gave and have now sent for the DVD. I wished I was as good at model making as some of those folk at the model clubs. I have a 'OO' layout which took ages to build in my loft. Due to my dislike of heights, which has got worse as I have got older, I have had to resite the layout in my garage. As I am starting again, I don't think I will ever finish it, still, it keeps me occupied. There are some great little railways around all steeped in history.
IP Logged
Scribbles

Email

« Reply #10 on: Nov 2nd, 2015, 4:02pm »

When I was very little, my parents gave me a clockwork model railway layout in O gauge.  The locomotive of my little passenger train was scarlet and so, of course, it was immediately christened James-the-red-engine like the one in the Rev. Awdry's books which were quite new at that time.  I used to get quite frustrated that the  clockwork would run down and have to be rewound so it was never quite as magical as an electric train would have been.  When my own daughter was small, Mr Scribbles got her an OO gauge electric railway layout and they both enjoyed it for a while but, as there was nowhere to keep it permanently set up, it was too much trouble to keep getting it out and then putting it away  and it disappeared into that pile of things that someone will do something with, one day!  

Were the Ilford & West Essex Model Railway Society around when you lived in this area?  They've had a 'home' in a little building by Chadwell Heath station for several decades and I went to one of their open days last summer.  It's not Gainsborough but they have some nice layouts and lovely kit so it was an excellent way to spend an afternoon.

Glad you're having fun with yours and I don't think they are ever really finished, are they?
IP Logged
Pompadour
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #11 on: Nov 3rd, 2015, 8:35am »

The fun I get is two fold, one being building models as they were and secondly,the historical side, the stories, some comical some tragic,about the coming of the railways and their construction.
IP Logged
kiwikid
YaBB Newbie

View Profile |

« Reply #12 on: Jan 2nd, 2016, 3:57am »

The term,to kick the bucket, apparently applies to a wooden rack that cattle were placed on to kill them and they would struggle and kick the bucket, which the rack was called.
IP Logged
Hambo
YaBB Full Member

View Profile |

« Reply #13 on: Jan 2nd, 2016, 4:21pm »

Where does the saying "Bog Standard" come from?
IP Logged
Pompadour
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #14 on: Jan 3rd, 2016, 10:09pm »

on Jan 2nd, 2016, 4:21pm, Hambo wrote:
Where does the saying "Bog Standard" come from?

Dunno, but it could come from BOGOFF, Buy One Get One Free, but there is no freeby just a standard one. Roll Eyes Grin
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply | Notify of replies | Send Topic | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »