Ilford Essex in Redbridge Greater London

Photos of Ilford Town Hall, Clock on Ilford High Road and The Exchange
You have found 'Welcome to Ilford' - the modern way to find out what's happening in Ilford, Essex and Redbridge Enjoy the message board.

Current Events
Find-a-Friend
Reviews
Ilford Facts
Need more info?
Feedback

This board is reactively moderated. If there is questionable content please use the Report to Moderator button next to the offending post. Keep this a friendly and positive place. Members may be banned who do not keep to the spirit of the forum. Posters must agree to the Rules.

Ilford Discussion board
« Ilford Discussion board - Fruit Stall next to Ilford Train Station »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.

Home | Help | Search | Members | Login | Register

Ilford Discussion board
   Main Messageboard
   Main
(Moderator: Nigel R - Admin)
   Fruit Stall next to Ilford Train Station
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply | Notify of replies | Send Topic | Print
   Author  Topic: Fruit Stall next to Ilford Train Station  (Read 6115 times)
Jamlamont
YaBB God

View Profile |

Re: Fruit Stall next to Ilford Train Station
« Reply #15 on: Jun 29th, 2015, 11:47am »
Report to moderator | Quote | Modify | Like this!

Also, I think I used to work in the old LycaMobile shop when it was an employment agency...... Huh

Not that I am expecting anyone to validate that!
IP Logged
Scribbles
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #16 on: Jun 29th, 2015, 12:55pm »

on Jun 29th, 2015, 11:10am, ktype wrote:
...... Mrs Mitchell's shop was next door to Fred's storage lock-up, which is now the gents hairdressers.

Mrs Mitchell's shop is now the "Tasty" fast food shop

My error - I'd forgotten when I wrote my previous post that there are two junk food shops on that block (Let's face it - Seven Kings has so many of them, it's easy to lose count).  I was trying to work out what had happened to the lock-up space without going up to the station to check and thought it must have been absorbed into the station building when it was re-vamped in the mid-80s.

I should think, also, the place where Jamlamont's nan bought her snuff must have been the shop that was Mrs Mitchell's in my time.  (My old Gran smoked 40 Craven-A per day and seemed quite glamorous to me when I was little as she was the only woman in our family who smoked - not sure what I'd have made of a snuff-snorting grandmother!)
IP Logged

Born free.... now I'm expensive.
Toby
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #17 on: Jun 29th, 2015, 11:33pm »

on Jun 29th, 2015, 11:29am, Jamlamont wrote:
That's an interesting pic, k-type.

It reminded me that my old Nan used to buy her snuff from a tiny tobacconists shop there (think it might have been the hairdressers?). I think she called it "Johnson's" - that was either the name of the snuff or the shop......boy, did she used to sneeze!!

Grin

S'nuff said!

Really,really sorry.
 Smiley
IP Logged
Pompadour
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #18 on: Jul 1st, 2015, 2:34pm »

on Jun 29th, 2015, 11:33pm, Toby wrote:

S'nuff said!

Really,really sorry.
 Smiley

Think snuffing of it Tobes. Roll Eyes
IP Logged
ktype
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #19 on: Jul 6th, 2015, 10:26am »

on Jun 29th, 2015, 12:55pm, Scribbles wrote:
... I was trying to work out what had happened to the lock-up space without going up to the station to check and thought it must have been absorbed into the station building when it was re-vamped in the mid-80s ...

Actually, it played a part in that re-vamp. After Fred retired and the Fruit & Veg stall folded, I think the lock-up space remained unused for several years but, when the station was rebuilt, the back wall was knocked out providing access to the station overbridge and it became a temporary entrance when the booking office was out of commission.
IP Logged

When all else fails, read the instructions ...
dowjohns
YaBB Newbie

View Profile |

« Reply #20 on: Aug 6th, 2016, 5:42pm »

The three stall was owned by the same famialy Fruit stall outside C&A, The stall outside Ilford station, and the stall next to Seven Kings. Then they sold them as soon as 1981 arrived. Fred Dowsett ran the stall at seven kings station  old bloke with a big hat, his nephew ran the Fruit stall on the pavement at old C&A, now Wilkinson, and Old Freds niece ran the fruit and veg stall outside the Ilford old station, The stall facing her brother"John" . A red haired women with glasess. John owned both The old C&A fruit stall, and the seven Kings stall, he use to set both stalls up in the mornings,  amd you would sometimes see the Cranbrook road fruit stall all loaded amd ready but no ine there, because he had to go to seven king's to load up the other stall. The Seven king's station stall use to be the lift entrance to the station.  but they took the old metal gates off the entrance to the short alleyway at the side of the statuon, put a roof on this alleyway. and some wooden doors instead of a metal 4 foot gate, aa,d wealth a fruit stall was created with suspected of genius as Cox's pronged piping and Fyfes bananas adds would say (Advert) and sold it to a suspecting prospective tor intrested or trained in the position of Fruit and veg. The ilford fruit stall with the lock up for the fruit was at the oldest Angel pub yard's old barrell shed.The stall Outside today's Wilook standing g in front of that fangled new mph like  map systems , that let you press a button, for location, amd a bulb turned on, on the map, old Wilkinson brand name rebranded. of modernisations,  The stall was a 1960s invention, with a short history, it was around the early mid 1960s it was first put their, because they just knocked down the Super-Cinima that stood abandoned since a Nazi V2 bomb hit it, and so in the early 1960s C&A was built, there was no pavement there in front of newer wilko store originaly, there use to be a curve in the road in entrance to the older super-cinima that stood dangerous build because of the bomb until 1959. John who owned the Stall for 10 years was a tall bloke with glasess, you see his son Mike work the stall in the 1970s to the early 80s defunked with his dad.
They famialy, had, had a stall around that area since the 1904s (flower stall) Ran by John's dad (John Dowsett senir) Who died in the 1970s.who was a resident of the a Romford Road I do belive the red haired women called Lile Johns elder sisterstill kept her stall even though her brother left, and I saw her years later around 1993 and she had a flower stall like the old days when her dad owned one in the same area in the 1940s, and 1950s. They originated from Bristol.
John with the glasess had another sister, she was a red head, the youngest out of the three named "Francis", she must have been in her early 30s in 1981. She had a ice cream stall, she died unfortunately around 1981 of cancer. John must be about 75 today,and his sister Lile must be over 80. His mum Lile senior use to be seen sometimes on the stall, she must be near 100 years old today
John Moved to Leicester market

To stop things changing  all the time. we take precautions against this change than may indeed upset, or ofended some people, and we leave the old buildings up so everything on paper looks very simular to any given requested date by a individual of a memory they would like to preserve, so even though the poles may have gone, the road still looks the same as it did when the memory's was fresh of the times,mand the people,  I guess theses uncurupterble corpses of the 19th century we know as "old buildings" have a motive and a reason to as to why they are still their, to some who just for the life of them canot forget. These trip down memory lane revivalist sure dish out listed building status like slices of bread in a loaf. But if you want your say, and it is your right i may add, you may take your complaint intstead to the town hall, to  put your proposal to block older building remaining up for to long,and potition the Westminsterto have them demolished no later than a date of 83 years old from first built, because thry"want to forget it all", and have the building pulled down, and regenerated. Hitler tried a prototype of this and even hit the Ilford clock tower with a bomb even though they had moved it to the park from the middle of the road of Iford broadway blocking the road up a bit.
Sympathisers on the England-flag side took there new prototype to Genrmay to get some atention because this country is getting so bad it's loosing all the good talent abroad. and the England's demonstrated using Germans houses as a subject to show of there new machinery how to pull down houses efficiently as not to be remeber,  with a wink, a "enough said atitude"..
The idea never took off. it had a 5 year fad flash in the pan, if you look at older archive photos of Britain, showing  these bad memory's.
IP Logged
Scribbles
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #21 on: Aug 7th, 2016, 10:04am »

Well, your last sentence is certainly correct, dowjohns! Funny how rumour and garbled versions always appear more attractive than the truth.
Thank you for your very comprehensive history of the fruit stalls. That's the first time I'd ever heard Fred's surname. I do remember Fred's trilby hat; never saw him without it and one of my friends used to speculate that he slept in it!
IP Logged

Born free.... now I'm expensive.
dowjohns
YaBB Newbie

View Profile |

« Reply #22 on: Aug 7th, 2016, 11:58pm »

Thanks it has been edited so your coment may seem inipropreate
now sorry for that.
IP Logged
ktype
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #23 on: Aug 8th, 2016, 11:07am »

on Aug 6th, 2016, 5:42pm, dowjohns wrote:
... so in the early 1960s C&A was built, there was no pavement there in front of newer wilko store originaly, there use to be a curve in the road in entrance to the older super-cinima that stood dangerous build because of the bomb until 1959 ...

Another major change in that area, and which might surprise younger readers or those relatively new to the area is that where the entrance to The Exchange is now was originally the end of Ley Street - as can be seen from this extract from a 1970 bus map.
IP Logged

ktype
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #24 on: Oct 30th, 2016, 11:09am »

If the map I referred to in my previous post had been 12 years older, the 169 and 193 would have been numbered 691 and 693 because they were trolleybus routes!

As it been 11 years since we last covered this topic, you might like to take a look here: http://www.ilford.org.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=disp lay;num=1133107364;start=0#0
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply | Notify of replies | Send Topic | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »