Ilford Essex in Redbridge Greater London

Photos of Ilford Town Hall, Clock on Ilford High Road and The Exchange
You have found 'Welcome to Ilford' - the modern way to find out what's happening in Ilford, Essex and Redbridge Enjoy the message board.

Current Events
Find-a-Friend
Reviews
Ilford Facts
Need more info?
Feedback

This board is reactively moderated. If there is questionable content please use the Report to Moderator button next to the offending post. Keep this a friendly and positive place. Members may be banned who do not keep to the spirit of the forum. Posters must agree to the Rules.

Ilford Discussion board
« Ilford Discussion board - Fruit Stall next to Ilford Train Station »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.

Home | Help | Search | Members | Login | Register

Ilford Discussion board
   Main Messageboard
   Main
(Moderator: Nigel R - Admin)
   Fruit Stall next to Ilford Train Station
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply | Notify of replies | Send Topic | Print
   Author  Topic: Fruit Stall next to Ilford Train Station  (Read 4490 times)
MGW
YaBB Newbie

View Profile |

Fruit Stall next to Ilford Train Station
« on: Jun 13th, 2015, 1:16pm »
Report to moderator | Quote | Modify | Like this! | 1 person likes this

Who can tell me who the old guy was that run the fruit stall next to ilford train station.
IP Logged
Toby
YaBB God

View Profile |

Re: Fruit Stall next to Ilford Train Station
« Reply #1 on: Jun 19th, 2015, 1:43pm »
Report to moderator | Quote | Modify | Like this!

Judging by the lack of replies it must be Billy No Mates Smiley
IP Logged
Pompadour
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #2 on: Jun 19th, 2015, 7:45pm »

E was the apple of his mothers eye. Grin
IP Logged
Toby
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #3 on: Jun 19th, 2015, 9:57pm »

He had a twin brother....they were a pear.
IP Logged
Pompadour
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #4 on: Jun 20th, 2015, 2:32pm »

Didn't they move to brussles.
IP Logged
ktype
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #5 on: Jun 24th, 2015, 6:07pm »

From memory, his name was Fred - but it was about 40 years ago since he retired, so I could be wrong!

He used to do a roaring trade there but the two young lads who took it over from him didn't seem to want to put the effort in to keep it running smoothly and it closed soon afterwards.
IP Logged

When all else fails, read the instructions ...
yanny
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #6 on: Jun 24th, 2015, 9:30pm »

chances are that it is now run by someone who owns a lot of other fruit stalls within east London/Essex area...... gone are the days of one person running their own one fruit/veg stall,......   these days that sort of person is usually brought out by some hotshot person with a lot of money who likes "to run the area".......   Undecided
IP Logged

gina452dy
YaBB Newbie

View Profile |

« Reply #7 on: Jun 24th, 2015, 9:50pm »
Report to moderator | Quote | Modify | Like this! | 1 person likes this

His name was GEORGIE WOODS, he used to drink with my family in the Black Horse pub (it's now been taken over by Joe Coral's Bookmakers).
IP Logged
Scribbles
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #8 on: Jun 24th, 2015, 11:15pm »

on Jun 24th, 2015, 6:07pm, ktype wrote:
From memory, his name was Fred - but it was about 40 years ago since he retired, so I could be wrong!

In the 1970s, Fred ran the fruit & veg stall at Seven Kings station and was quite a character. I think he retired sometime in the early 1980s.  I don't recall a stall at Ilford station during my time in the area but I can't swear that you're wrong - maybe he preferred the Seven Kings ambience and moved?
IP Logged

Born free.... now I'm expensive.
gina452dy
YaBB Newbie

View Profile |

« Reply #9 on: Jun 25th, 2015, 11:11am »

There was a fruit (not veg) stall between Ilford Railway Station & Pops Tobacco shop in Cranbrook road, it was small,(like a small lock up, not like the big ones in Ilford today.

He's passed away now, but his  name was definitely Georgie Woods, i'm 100% certain of this as he was a family friend.

The stall in Seven Kings, that may be the one in Cameron Road, I shopped from him several times but I never knew him personally or his name.
IP Logged
Scribbles
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #10 on: Jun 25th, 2015, 11:38am »

During the time I knew it, Fred's stall was right outside the Station entrance at Seven Kings. There was a tiny lock-up space between the station doors and Mrs Mitchell's sweet shop next door where he used to stow everything away at night.
IP Logged

gina452dy
YaBB Newbie

View Profile |

« Reply #11 on: Jun 25th, 2015, 1:47pm »

Yes, I remember the sweet shop next door too!
Is the sweet shop & fruit stall still there, next time i'm in that area i'll check it out.

I was just checking over the history of Ilford & came across the Ilford discussion board & saw the question about the fruit stall.

I wanted to find out about Audrey road history (where I live in a council house), an old man who's lived on this road for donkeys years & worked at the old photographic company (where the new Sainsbury's is now), they owned his house & when they closed down he had the opportunity to buy the house cheaply from them, he told me some of the houses were going to be demolished to make the a406 but the residents wouldn't budge, he said their was protests about it on the news, this was before Sainsburys was built on Roden St.  
If these houses had been demolished I started wondering where I would be living instead.
Even though my family have lived in Ilford all our lives(Belmont Rd) it's nice to hear stories from an older generation, I could listen to him for hours a nice old geezer.
IP Logged
Scribbles
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #12 on: Jun 25th, 2015, 5:05pm »

After Fred retired, the fruit stall lasted a little while under new ownership, as Ktype said above.  I don't remember using it much after Fred's time - the new owners either didn't have what I wanted or they'd already closed up for the day by the time  my train home arrived so I started buying my fruit & veg requirements from a stall near  where I worked instead.  
When Mrs Mitchell retired, the  sweet shop was taken on by a family but they never really seemed to have their hearts in it and used to overcharge for things (oh, sorry, that was a mistake ... for the second or third time in a week!).  It also coincided with a period when huge numbers of people were giving up smoking and much of the shop's business had been commuters calling in for their daily pack of 20 Whatever on the way to the station.  These days, it's a gents' hairdressers where they make a very good job of keeping Mr Scribbles' buzz-cut in  shape.
IP Logged

ktype
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #13 on: Jun 29th, 2015, 11:10am »

First, an apology for confusing the fruit (and veg) stall at Seven Kings with the one in Ilford!

on Jun 25th, 2015, 5:05pm, Scribbles wrote:
These days, it's a gents' hairdressers where they make a very good job of keeping Mr Scribbles' buzz-cut in  shape.

No - near miss, though! Mrs Mitchell's shop was next door to Fred's storage lock-up, which is now the gents hairdressers.

Mrs Mitchell's shop is now the "Tasty" fast food shop as you can see here.

I haven't been near it in its new guise so I don't know if it still has the missing parquet floor tile trip hazard in the middle of the floor which was very much a feature of the place in Mrs Mitchell's day!
IP Logged

When all else fails, read the instructions ...
Jamlamont
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #14 on: Jun 29th, 2015, 11:29am »

That's an interesting pic, k-type.

It reminded me that my old Nan used to buy her snuff from a tiny tobacconists shop there (think it might have been the hairdressers?). I think she called it "Johnson's" - that was either the name of the snuff or the shop......boy, did she used to sneeze!!

Grin
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply | Notify of replies | Send Topic | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »