Ilford Essex in Redbridge Greater London

Photos of Ilford Town Hall, Clock on Ilford High Road and The Exchange
You have found 'Welcome to Ilford' - the modern way to find out what's happening in Ilford, Essex and Redbridge Enjoy the message board.

Current Events
Find-a-Friend
Reviews
Ilford Facts
Need more info?
Feedback

This board is reactively moderated. If there is questionable content please use the Report to Moderator button next to the offending post. Keep this a friendly and positive place. Members may be banned who do not keep to the spirit of the forum. Posters must agree to the Rules.

Ilford Discussion board
Ilford Discussion board - The joker pub, seven kings ITS GONE!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.

Home | Help | Search | Members | Login | Register

Ilford Discussion board
   Main Messageboard
   Main
(Moderator: Nigel R - Admin)
   The joker pub, seven kings ITS GONE!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply | Notify of replies | Send Topic | Print
   Author  Topic: The joker pub, seven kings ITS GONE!  (Read 11440 times)
ktype
YaBB God

View Profile |

Re: The joker pub, seven kings ITS GONE!
« Reply #30 on: Apr 26th, 2015, 9:32pm »
Report to moderator | Quote | Modify | Like this!

on Apr 17th, 2015, 2:52pm, ktype wrote:
... A bad move by Courage because the former assistant manager and two partners were in the process of re-opening the former cinema/bingo hall directly opposite as The Shannon Centre, which promptly siphoned off much of the Irish trade!

And guess which is the next building in Seven Kings facing demolition and redevelopment ...?
IP Logged

When all else fails, read the instructions ...
Scribbles
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #31 on: Apr 27th, 2015, 1:02pm »

I'm not a frequenter of night clubs  so I can't speak from first hand experience but I've heard nothing good about the place for several years so it probably won't be too badly missed - except by the chavs who'll have to find somewhere else to fight on a Friday night  Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Born free.... now I'm expensive.
ktype
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #32 on: Apr 27th, 2015, 7:49pm »

The Shannon Centre has changed beyond all recognition in recent years. As far as I know, when the three directors retired, the place was sold to chain of clubs and, as far as I can see, any pretence of being Irish disappeared long ago.

It is now divided into (at least) two separate businesses now but as I haven't been inside it now for more years than I care to remember - certainly the best part of 30 -  don't know any more than that.  

Another Irish pub opened up further along the High Road at about the time the Shannon was sold - I'm told it was opened by the previous bar manager at the Shannon - and has become extremely popular.
IP Logged

yanny
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #33 on: Apr 28th, 2015, 7:56pm »

o'gradys......when ive been up to Ilford, I always pop in their,.....great pub, its more than just a pub now. Smiley
IP Logged

yanny
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #34 on: May 4th, 2015, 10:04am »

im heading up to Ilford today so ill take some up to date photos of what it looks like now
IP Logged

piper1x
YaBB Newbie

View Profile |

« Reply #35 on: Aug 21st, 2015, 12:51am »

I worked in the Joker when I first arrived in London as a young 18 year old student in July 1970. I liked it so much I stayed until 1973. At that time there was the public bar (where I generally served), saloon bar and lounge. The governor then was a man called Jack...can't remember his second name who was never in the bar and his very elegant wife who really managed the place. Then Jim Reagan took over. It was always very busy at weekends. I made so many friends there and I am sure I probably served some of the subscribers here. Got some dates also. I have not been there since I left in 1973. What a shame it is gone.
IP Logged
ktype
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #36 on: Aug 27th, 2015, 10:55pm »

on Aug 21st, 2015, 12:51am, piper1x wrote:
... I liked it so much I stayed until 1973 ... I made so many friends there and I am sure I probably served some of the subscribers here ...

I first drank in the Joker in December 1973, so we probably just missed each other ...
IP Logged

yanny
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #37 on: Sep 3rd, 2015, 9:16pm »

I was up in seven kings last weekend and they have put white barriers up.... not much progress yet....
IP Logged

ktype
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #38 on: Sep 6th, 2015, 7:18pm »

The white barriers have been there for over four months, replacing the original temporary barriers.

As for progress, you can't see through them so you've no idea of what is (or isn't) going on. If the barriers stay as they are, nobody is going to see anything until the new building reaches first floor level ...
IP Logged

yanny
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #39 on: Oct 9th, 2015, 3:53pm »

unless you borrow a chair from the chip shop just next door and peek over..............   Grin
IP Logged

Pompadour
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #40 on: Oct 9th, 2015, 7:57pm »

Just be careful how you plaice the chair yanno. Grin
IP Logged
Selena
YaBB Senior Member

View Profile |

« Reply #41 on: Jan 22nd, 2016, 3:42pm »

Think they having a little issue with planning as it was a hotel and flats they wanted to build after they found the cannabis den in the cellar of the Joker. Also the local brothel next door has complained about loss of trade. The Shannon centre had a murder which is never good for business but you will be glad to hear the Cauliflour has been re-opened as music venue.
IP Logged
yanny
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #42 on: Jan 25th, 2016, 9:32am »

brothel...... whereabouts ?  Raise eyebrow ROFL

....at least its good news about the cauliflower.  Thumbs up
IP Logged

ktype
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #43 on: Feb 12th, 2017, 8:59pm »

Well, those barriers are still there 18 months on but there are now signs of progress.

I couldn't work out what was taking so long after demolishing the pub to get back up to ground level but I think I now know the answer - it isn't just the pub site which is being developed but the whole area behind the shops which presumably took a lot of work building the extended foundations.

The building frame has now shot up - I don't know exactly when it first put in an appearance over the barriers - but it looks to be about three storeys high at present. However, I was just driving past and didn't have time to take in more than a brief glance of it.

I got the impression that the front elevation has been swung round slightly in a clockwise direction but this could be an illusion created by the barriers not necessarily being parallel to the old frontage and also that the new one is curved, not straight.
IP Logged

ktype
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #44 on: Mar 5th, 2017, 6:05pm »

Noticed the other day that the old Shannon site is surrounded by scaffolding and looks as if it is being demolished.

More flats, possibly? After all, it is right opposite the new Crossrail station - or the Elizabeth line as it will now be known - so very convenient for some the new commuters who are expected to flood into the area (as will be the new much extended Joker development).  

Bearing in mind that it was originally a cinema, the Shannon site site goes back a long way from the road ...
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3  Reply | Notify of replies | Send Topic | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »