Ilford Essex in Redbridge Greater London

Photos of Ilford Town Hall, Clock on Ilford High Road and The Exchange
You have found 'Welcome to Ilford' - the modern way to find out what's happening in Ilford, Essex and Redbridge Enjoy the message board.

Current Events
Find-a-Friend
Reviews
Ilford Facts
Need more info?
Feedback

This board is reactively moderated. If there is questionable content please use the Report to Moderator button next to the offending post. Keep this a friendly and positive place. Members may be banned who do not keep to the spirit of the forum. Posters must agree to the Rules.

Ilford Discussion board
« Ilford Discussion board - The joker pub, seven kings   ITS GONE! »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.

Home | Help | Search | Members | Login | Register

Ilford Discussion board
   Main Messageboard
   Main
(Moderator: Nigel R - Admin)
   The joker pub, seven kings   ITS GONE!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply | Notify of replies | Send Topic | Print
   Author  Topic: The joker pub, seven kings   ITS GONE!  (Read 14541 times)
Jamlamont
YaBB God

View Profile |

Re: The joker pub, seven kings   ITS GONE!
« Reply #15 on: Apr 14th, 2015, 9:04pm »
Report to moderator | Quote | Modify | Like this!

................and, there was nothing like stumbling out of Canon Palmer's and seeing the pub round the corner for consistency!

I am sooooooooo depressed!!
IP Logged
ktype
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #16 on: Apr 15th, 2015, 11:40am »

I've been having further thoughts on the age of the Joker.

Anybody remember it before the Saloon and Lounge bars were knocked into one in the mid/late 70s?

There was a short corridor that ran from the right hand entrance to the Lounge at the back with the loos on the right hand side.

On the left was the entrance to the Saloon with the remainder being occupied by a partition consisting of glass panels set into some chunky black wood framing. Some of these panels featured beautiful engravings - and it is they that offer the best dating possibilities.

I have a feeling that there were six but can only recall four:
- The Jodrell Bank Radio Telescope (now known as the Lovell Telescope) which first entered service in mid 1957, just in time for the launch of
- Sputnik 1 in October 1957
- THETA. This was a machine to investigate nuclear fusion at the Atomic Research Centre at Harwell and was the successor to ZETA - Zero-Energy Toroidal (or Thermonuclear) Assembly - which also entered service in Summer 1957. However, I can't find any data to date it more accurately although there is still a Theta Engineering company based at Harwell!
- Last, but not least, SRN1 - the first practical hovercraft - which first flew in June 1959

Because of the publicity that surrounded them, images of these advances would have been instantly recognisable at the time. Their inclusion in the pub's design would point to the early 60s.
IP Logged

When all else fails, read the instructions ...
Toby
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #17 on: Apr 15th, 2015, 3:42pm »

I'm only guessing then that in the swinging 60's it was more of a local , attractions being arrowroot biscuits,pickled eggs and Castellas,manikins if you were short.(PUN)
IP Logged
yanny
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #18 on: Apr 15th, 2015, 3:59pm »

on Apr 14th, 2015, 9:04pm, Jamlamont wrote:
................and, there was nothing like stumbling out of Canon Palmer's and seeing the pub round the corner for consistency!

I am sooooooooo depressed!!

after my last gcse exam... I went into the joker for a drink..... changed out of my school uniform first...  
 Raise eyebrow
IP Logged

yanny
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #19 on: Apr 15th, 2015, 4:04pm »

supposedly a hotel is gonna be built there...........

http://www.ilfordrecorder.co.uk/news/the_joker_pub_in_seven_kings_closes _doors_as_developers_prepare_to_knock_it_down_1_3950893
IP Logged

Toby
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #20 on: Apr 15th, 2015, 4:18pm »

I'll wager that after a few months it will be full of DHSS claimants.
IP Logged
Scribbles
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #21 on: Apr 15th, 2015, 7:21pm »

Quote:
from the Recorder ...  
....the new development would have a coffee shop and bar on the ground floor, open to the community.
“Obviously it’s not going to be as large as the Joker but we will have a bar so the locals have got somewhere to come back to.”

Hmm. And by the time the place is up and running, the Joker's former patrons will have discovered where to catch the bus to JD Wetherspoon's local branches and may well never return.

Quote:
You had a wee problem,was it a big job to get out?

No, Tobes - merely a tiddly inconvenience and I soon washed my hands of it!
IP Logged

Born free.... now I'm expensive.
Toby
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #22 on: Apr 15th, 2015, 8:05pm »

Ho,Ho scribbles,good riposte. Grin
IP Logged
ktype
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #23 on: Apr 16th, 2015, 11:09am »

Oh dear! A bit too late for the Joker ...

"The latest changes to permitted development rights came into force this week. One of the changes now states that pubs that are listed as Assets of Community Value (England only) now require planning permission to be demolished or changed to any other use. In effect existing permitted development rights will be removed for pubs listed as ACVs for as long as the pub is on the local authorities Assets of Community Value list. This is another success in the civic movement's campaign to see even more community buildings across the country listed as ACVs. We would urge you all to now start nominating your pubs as ACVs to give them more local protection."

From the 'Civic Voice' newsletter as reported on the Barkingside 21 blog.
IP Logged

Pompadour
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #24 on: Apr 16th, 2015, 4:26pm »

on Apr 15th, 2015, 7:21pm, Scribbles wrote:

Hmm. And by the time the place is up and running, the Joker's former patrons will have discovered where to catch the bus to JD Wetherspoon's local branches and may well never return.

No, Tobes - merely a tiddly inconvenience and I soon washed my hands of it!

I bet you were a bit flushed after that scribbs. Grin
IP Logged
Jamlamont
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #25 on: Apr 16th, 2015, 8:56pm »

on Apr 15th, 2015, 11:40am, ktype wrote:
I've been having further thoughts on the age of the Joker.

Anybody remember it before the Saloon and Lounge bars were knocked into one in the mid/late 70s?

There was a short corridor that ran from the right hand entrance to the Lounge at the back with the loos on the right hand side.

On the left was the entrance to the Saloon with the remainder being occupied by a partition consisting of glass panels set into some chunky black wood framing. Some of these panels featured beautiful engravings - and it is they that offer the best dating possibilities.

I have a feeling that there were six but can only recall four:
- The Jodrell Bank Radio Telescope (now known as the Lovell Telescope) which first entered service in mid 1957, just in time for the launch of
- Sputnik 1 in October 1957
- THETA. This was a machine to investigate nuclear fusion at the Atomic Research Centre at Harwell and was the successor to ZETA - Zero-Energy Toroidal (or Thermonuclear) Assembly - which also entered service in Summer 1957. However, I can't find any data to date it more accurately although there is still a Theta Engineering company based at Harwell!
- Last, but not least, SRN1 - the first practical hovercraft - which first flew in June 1959

Because of the publicity that surrounded them, images of these advances would have been instantly recognisable at the time. Their inclusion in the pub's design would point to the early 60s.

Oh yes, K-type - I remember it long before it was "knocked into one" - in fact, I didn't even know it had been because I was gone by then!

My dear old Grandad was a drinker in there in the early 60's when I was only a baby - but I have the photographs!

I lunched there in approx. 1974/5 and it was still two bars then.

Then I had a series of Irish boyfriends who all frequented the public only side of the bar. The majority lived in Elgin Road as I recall. I, personally, was raised in Norfolk Road.  

Then, change came into my life, and I left Ilford for Hornchurch and subsequently Barking (*retch* - that didn't last long, thankfully) and then elsewhere.

However, some of my happiest memories are of that time.

I also particularly remember attending a Silver Jubilee Party in Buckingham Road, Ilford in 1977 when I was a tender young thing who yet had much to learn.  

Happy Days!          Grin
IP Logged
ktype
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #26 on: Apr 17th, 2015, 2:52pm »

on Apr 16th, 2015, 8:56pm, Jamlamont wrote:
... I lunched there in approx. 1974/5 and it was still two bars then ...

Actually it had three bars then! The small Public Bar accessed via the doors at the left hand side and the Saloon and Lounge Bars accessed via the right hand entrance.

When I first went there in 1974, the Public and Saloon Bar clientèle were predominantly Irish wheras the Lounge Bar catered for a mixture of commuters and more established residents - apart from the manager and assistant manager, who were both Irish, I don't think I ever heard another Irish accent in there!

The entire pub got very busy in the evenings, although the Lounge Bar didn't fill up until later on but the quantities of spirits with profit making mixers would, I would think, amply compensate for the later start!

About 1977 the management changed and then about a year later, Courage decided to knock the place apart. The screen, corridor and Lounge Bar entrance disappeared with the street entrance now opening out directly into the newly extended Saloon.

Courage decided that they were going to make a lot of money from selling food, particularly at lunch time. A length of the bar was cut away and converted into a drop down cold cabinet for lunch time use, folding up to form the bar again in the evening. Much of the seating in the former Lounge was replaced by an ugly 'Y' shaped construction in the middle with a narrow shelf running round it. The new influx of lunchtime eaters would be eating standing up, decided Courage!

In the event, it wasn't a success. Although I never went there at lunchtime, the 'Y' shaped thing was stuck out in the car park after a short time and the cold shelf was obviously just being used for sundry storage.

The Saloon Bar customers expanded into the new space and the traditional Lounge Bar customers, in the main, voted with their wallets.

A bad move by Courage because the former assistant manager and two partners were in the process of re-opening the former cinema/bingo hall directly opposite as The Shannon Centre, which promptly siphoned off much of the Irish trade!

It was not until after the brewers were forced to get rid of their large pub estates that the new owners finally demolished the interior wall on either side of the fireplace and made the final move to a one bar pub.
IP Logged

Jamlamont
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #27 on: Apr 19th, 2015, 9:45pm »

Gosh, K-type - that means you coulda been in there the same time as me and we didn't even know each other then...! Well, we don't know each other now except in a virtual sense but you know what I mean!

Grin
IP Logged
Scribbles
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #28 on: Apr 20th, 2015, 6:03pm »

Quote:
Gosh, K-type - that means you coulda been in there the same time as me and we didn't even know each other then...!

This is eerie ... I also started going to the Joker in 1974, when I first moved to this area.  To think ... we could've all been queueing at the bar at the same time.
IP Logged

Born free.... now I'm expensive.
Pompadour
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #29 on: Apr 21st, 2015, 9:06am »

on Apr 20th, 2015, 6:03pm, Scribbles wrote:

This is eerie ... I also started going to the Joker in 1974, when I first moved to this area.  To think ... we could've all been queueing at the bar at the same time.

Blimey, spooky or what, it only wants Yanno to pipe up and say he was the barman at that time to crown it. Scared
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply | Notify of replies | Send Topic | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »