Ilford Essex in Redbridge Greater London

Photos of Ilford Town Hall, Clock on Ilford High Road and The Exchange
You have found 'Welcome to Ilford' - the modern way to find out what's happening in Ilford, Essex and Redbridge Enjoy the message board.

Current Events
Find-a-Friend
Reviews
Ilford Facts
Need more info?
Feedback

This board is reactively moderated. If there is questionable content please use the Report to Moderator button next to the offending post. Keep this a friendly and positive place. Members may be banned who do not keep to the spirit of the forum. Posters must agree to the Rules.

Ilford Discussion board
Ilford Discussion board - Watching the eclipse
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.

Home | Help | Search | Members | Login | Register

Ilford Discussion board
   Main Messageboard
   Main
(Moderator: Nigel R - Admin)
   Watching the eclipse
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Send Topic | Print
   Author  Topic: Watching the eclipse  (Read 3261 times)
ktype
YaBB God

View Profile |

Watching the eclipse
« on: Mar 17th, 2015, 5:36pm »
Report to moderator | Quote | Modify | Like this!

Assuming it isn't too cloudy on Friday morning, are you interested in watching the eclipse? If so, do you know when and where to look? And, just as important, as it will be fairly low down in the sky, will there be anything in the way?

Well, there is a way to find out! Look at this:

I've picked a local hostelry - open for breakfast at 8am! - and, as you can see, there should be a clear view across the roundabout, so find a window seat and enjoy your brekky at the same time!

The eclipse starts just before 8:30 when the sun is over the green line and continues to about 10:40 when the sun reaches the red line. It is at its maximum when it is over the blue line. The full details are here:

and you will notice that the sun is only 20 above the horizon at the start. Fortunately it continues rising during the eclipse period to nearly double the elevation at the end, however, there are no buildings of consequence that are anywhere near our vantage point until after the end of the eclipse.

Now, what is the situation like where you are? Easy!

The times and angles don't vary much over a large part of the country, so it doesn't really matter where you are - Feenix excepted, of course!- this will work without any fine tuning. But if you want to be really certain, you can look up the details here: http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoogle/SEgoogle2001/SE2015Mar20Tgoogle.ht ml

1./ Go to http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/opendata/viewer/index.html
2./ Enter your location or PostCode in the box and press Go.
3./ Move the magnification slider (top left) to maximum, moving the map slightly to ensure your location stays on the screen - ideally towards the top left.
4./ Open the Snipping Tool provided with recent versions of Windows and copy the bit of the map you are interested in (or press PrtScn on your keyboard if you are using an older version.)
5./ Open MS Paint, select the white drawing area and click Paste (or use the [CTRL] + V shortcut).
6./ Go to http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii16/ktype_photo/forum/Eclipse-protac tor.png
7./ Select the image, right click and select Copy.
8./ In Paint, click on Select on the Menu Bar and ensure that Transparent Selection at the bottom is selected.

9./ Select the map area and Paste as before then move the protractor around so that the target ends up over your chosen location.

You can now see every single building that might obstruct your line of view with sufficient information to determine the effects of trees, etc.

Mapping data used under the OS OpenData licence. Contains OS data Crown copyright and database right 2015
IP Logged

When all else fails, read the instructions ...
Pompadour
YaBB God

View Profile |

Re: Watching the eclipse
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18th, 2015, 9:17am »

But K, if it all goes dark during the eclipse, how the hell can we see it. Cool Grin Grin
IP Logged
yanny
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #2 on: Mar 18th, 2015, 3:32pm »

....should point out that "other places to view the eclipse" will be available.......   ROFL

......breakfast is on K on Friday morning then.....  Rocking
IP Logged

ktype
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #3 on: Mar 19th, 2015, 10:33am »

Traditional ways of viewing an eclipse without looking directly at the sum included using smoked glass or a dense area of a photographic negative but neither are considered safe these days. The most common suggestion that I've seen recently is to use a welder's helmet and, of course, we've all got one of these kicking around somewhere, haven't we ...?

Necessity is the mother of invention, they say, and I came up with a quick solution about 30 years ago when I was going to collect my daughter from her dancing class and realised that this coincided with the peak of a solar eclipse.

I managed to find two pieces of thin card about A4 size so I made a pin hole in the centre of one and used the other, which was quite light in colour, for the screen. Simply hold one above the other at the correct angle and adjust the spacing for optimum focus.

The card needs to be stiff enough not to bend under its own weight, if possible, and you can stick a sheet a white paper on top of any thick piece of card for the screen.

The pin hole must have sharp edges - no furry bits! This may not be so easy with thick card but an easy way round it is to cut a small hole in the centre and cover it with a piece of paper, thin card or even opaque PVC tape and make the pin hole in that.

You can even make a pin hole camera like this which will also be educational but this is probably a bit small for the purpose where young children are concerned because of the temptation to open the other eye.

Unfortunately, the current weather forecast for Friday morning doesn't auger well for the Ilford area but they might have got it wrong (again!)
IP Logged

When all else fails, read the instructions ...
yanny
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #4 on: Mar 20th, 2015, 10:40pm »

as usual the weather wasn't exactly brilliant for the eclipse..... in fact... WHAT ECLIPSE ?..... the sky went a bit dark.... i thought it was gonna pee down.... then the sun came out... and i thought "another load of hype"

...how boring.

Yawn
IP Logged

Pompadour
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #5 on: Mar 21st, 2015, 9:09am »

So boring, it wants to make UKIP yano.  Grin
IP Logged
yanny
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #6 on: Mar 27th, 2015, 8:33pm »

yeah.................     Tongue
IP Logged

Toby
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #7 on: Mar 28th, 2015, 4:15pm »

Some people watched it through colanders......

I hope it didn't strain their eyes......
IP Logged
Pompadour
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #8 on: Apr 1st, 2015, 12:47pm »

I think there's another eclipse in a few collander months. Grin
IP Logged
Scribbles

Email

« Reply #9 on: Apr 2nd, 2015, 12:59pm »
Report to moderator | Quote | Modify | Remove | Like this!

Are you holey certain of that?  It'd be a real strain if it didn't happen ....
IP Logged
Pompadour
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #10 on: Apr 2nd, 2015, 1:17pm »

If it don't appen, I ope members will be sievel abart it. Roll Eyes
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Send Topic | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »