Ilford Essex in Redbridge Greater London

Photos of Ilford Town Hall, Clock on Ilford High Road and The Exchange
You have found 'Welcome to Ilford' - the modern way to find out what's happening in Ilford, Essex and Redbridge Enjoy the message board.

Current Events
Find-a-Friend
Reviews
Ilford Facts
Need more info?
Feedback

This board is reactively moderated. If there is questionable content please use the Report to Moderator button next to the offending post. Keep this a friendly and positive place. Members may be banned who do not keep to the spirit of the forum. Posters must agree to the Rules.

Ilford Discussion board
« Ilford Discussion board - Best parts of Redbridge Borough »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.

Home | Help | Search | Members | Login | Register

Ilford Discussion board
   Main Messageboard
   Main
(Moderator: Nigel R - Admin)
   Best parts of Redbridge Borough
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply | Notify of replies | Send Topic | Print
   Author  Topic: Best parts of Redbridge Borough  (Read 59461 times)
Gutsy

Email

Re: Best parts of Redbridge Borough
« Reply #15 on: Jun 7th, 2012, 5:42pm »
Report to moderator | Quote | Modify | Remove | Like this!

Not falling into that trap,thank you. Lips Sealed
I'm not starting you off on a rant.
IP Logged
ROCKINCAT
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #16 on: Jun 7th, 2012, 5:44pm »
Report to moderator | Quote | Modify | Like this!

So what use is it giving the stats and not giving an answer?

You must be in politics!
IP Logged
Hambo
YaBB Full Member

View Profile |

« Reply #17 on: Jun 7th, 2012, 5:55pm »

Thanks all especially Ktype for your advice.  I’ve been through the areas I mentioned several times but that was always during the day and I’m not sure if it gives a true reflection of the area as some areas become more shady after dark (some more than others) Shocked. That was really the feedback I was looking for from anyone with experience of those areas during different times of day.  For instance are gangs/groups of youth hanging around with nothing better to do more rife in any of these areas.

Personally been to Ilford to do a little shopping and I would say it is far from a dump.  It has some decent stores like M&S, Debenhams plus a good range of ethnic shops as I like to sample food and use spices from a range of countries.  However, the area around the shopping centre and down through to Ilford Lane just appears a little too hectic/busy which is why I was looking at Redbridge, Gants Hill and possibly Wanstead as it “appears” more pleasant.

I don’t work far from Whitechapel and Aldgate but would definitely not want to live there as to me that represents more of a dump of an area.

I guess as Ktype says may have to explore the area a little perhaps a walk in Valentines Park.

I've lived in different areas like Tottenham and Edmonton which some would say is quite rough, just wondering if Ilford and surrounding areas too are on that level.
IP Logged
ktype
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #18 on: Jun 7th, 2012, 8:47pm »

on Jun 7th, 2012, 5:22pm, Gutsy wrote:
K type,certainly some areas are easier to improve than others
Have you factored in the Ilford Lane area?

No, obviously not - but I had already referred to that area in my previous post and it was very obvious that I was discussing a somewhere different.

No matter where you go, some areas will always be more desirable than others and Ilford is no different. That does not mean that the whole town should be judged solely on the basis of Ilford Lane!
IP Logged

When all else fails, read the instructions ...
ktype
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #19 on: Jun 7th, 2012, 9:36pm »

on Jun 7th, 2012, 5:55pm, Hambo wrote:
... However, the area around the shopping centre and down through to Ilford Lane just appears a little too hectic/busy which is why I was looking at Redbridge, Gants Hill and possibly Wanstead as it “appears” more pleasant ...

I think the Ilford Lane area has already had a good airing, both here and elsewhere.

As for the town centre itself, it is, as you say, a shopping centre and, unless you intend to incarcerate yourself inside one of the tower blocks which have gone up recently, it isn't really a residential area.

On the other hand, I'm firmly in the codger bracket and I feel perfectly safe in Cranbrook Road at midnight, just a couple of hundred yards away.

I can't speak for Gants Hill, though I would imagine it might be a bit hectic around the main junction at night but it may well be very peaceful just a stone's throw away in the side streets.  

Just off the roundabout in Woodford Avenue is a small bar called just that - the BAR.

Perhaps it might be an idea to pop in sometime when it's quiet - early evening, perhaps, when people pop in on their way home -  and have a chat with some of the locals? I'm sure the owner would be happy to point some out to you.

For Redbridge, you could try the same thing at the Red House which is a much larger place altogether, though being a Beefeater I don't know if you'll find many of the locals popping in for a quiet pint ...

I've never spent much time in Wanstead but it does seem very pleasant, as you say - and the nearest pub is right opposite the station!
IP Logged

Pompadour
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #20 on: Jun 8th, 2012, 8:34am »

on Jun 7th, 2012, 5:09pm, ROCKINCAT wrote:
Gutsy never forget that a bad area has to end somewhere just as a good area begins somewhere.

Aldgate (and Whitechapel) are awful areas no matter how close they are to The Bank Of England.

Peckham is close to The London Docklands but who wants to live in Peckham?!!

Del Boy. Grin
IP Logged
Feenix
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #21 on: Jun 8th, 2012, 9:30am »

and his 'orse !
IP Logged

Bring back flower power(it's cheaper) !
ROCKINCAT
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #22 on: Jun 8th, 2012, 10:58am »

Funny that but Del's block of flats was really filmed in Bristol!!
IP Logged
Suli
YaBB God

View Profile | Email

« Reply #23 on: Jun 8th, 2012, 1:36pm »

Hambo, the better areas are the ones that have not been re-developed and luckily most of Redbridge is as it was over 40 odd years ago.  Ilford Town Centre, unfortunately, has been made over by the council who have not learnt that high rises and less amenities make for horrid communities in the long run.  However, it is not Stonebridge, Trellick Tower or Thamesmead - thankfully.

I will happily sing Wanstead's praises because the area is largely untouched since the first half of the 20th century but it does have its problems; youths from poorer areas do like to hang out during the night because they probably feel safer here and certainly don't seem to cause any major problems.

Gants Hill, Redbridge and Goodmayes are nice too.

IP Logged
yanny
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #24 on: Jun 8th, 2012, 2:49pm »

for me,.... the parks have to be the best feature,.. the only parts of the borough that are respected,.... Smiley
IP Logged

Pompadour
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #25 on: Jun 8th, 2012, 4:11pm »

on Jun 8th, 2012, 1:36pm, Suli wrote:
Hambo, the better areas are the ones that have not been re-developed and luckily most of Redbridge is as it was over 40 odd years ago.  Ilford Town Centre, unfortunately, has been made over by the council who have not learnt that high rises and less amenities make for horrid communities in the long run.  However, it is not Stonebridge, Trellick Tower or Thamesmead - thankfully.

I will happily sing Wanstead's praises because the area is largely untouched since the first half of the 20th century but it does have its problems; youths from poorer areas do like to hang out during the night because they probably feel safer here and certainly don't seem to cause any major problems.

Gants Hill, Redbridge and Goodmayes are nice too.

Wanstead always was a nice area. As a lad I rode my bike up there at least once a week. Used to go Ten Pin bowling there in the early sixties.
IP Logged
ROCKINCAT
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #26 on: Jun 8th, 2012, 5:07pm »

Not a single mention of Seven Kings being nice!
IP Logged
ktype
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #27 on: Jun 8th, 2012, 6:16pm »

Seven Kings is blighted by the numerous fast food establishments that the council has allowed to proliferate all along the High Road.

These have attracted both passing traffic and the high local itinerant population who care nothing about the area and simply dump the residue of their food in the streets. This is helped by the council not providing a single rubbish bin away from the High Road.  

Also, Seven Kings north of the High Road mostly consists of long, boring, featureless streets so, no matter what the population is like, it could never be described as an attractive area.
IP Logged

ktype
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #28 on: Jun 9th, 2012, 3:01pm »

Much discussion of crime, etc., on here is subjective and often from posters living hundreds of miles away!

Here are two useful links for anybody doing serious research into the area:

This one give a breakdown by ward ...

... and, if you put a PostCode into this one you can see what is happening right outside your own front door - or someone else's! Just zoom in and explore.

Note that the second link covers the UK - not just the Met.
IP Logged

Hambo
YaBB Full Member

View Profile |

« Reply #29 on: Jun 10th, 2012, 2:07am »

Thanks Ktype that's really useful information.  I visited two properties in the last two days so getting the ball rolling.  Currently I seem to like Redbridge area that bit more than Gants Hill despite the fact it has less shops around it.  Just seems to have a more residential feel about it.  But then again I've only seen a few roads around each area.

Even took a stroll near Cranbrook Road I think it is towards the Gants Hill side and that area seems particularly pleasant as well but I feel houses there are likely to be out of my price range from what I can see on the mainstream websites like findaproperty, oh well  Undecided

But thanks all for the great feedback you have given, really useful forum for a newbie to the area like me  Smiley
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply | Notify of replies | Send Topic | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »