Ilford Essex in Redbridge Greater London

Photos of Ilford Town Hall, Clock on Ilford High Road and The Exchange
You have found 'Welcome to Ilford' - the modern way to find out what's happening in Ilford, Essex and Redbridge Enjoy the message board.

Current Events
Find-a-Friend
Reviews
Ilford Facts
Need more info?
Feedback

This board is reactively moderated. If there is questionable content please use the Report to Moderator button next to the offending post. Keep this a friendly and positive place. Members may be banned who do not keep to the spirit of the forum. Posters must agree to the Rules.

Ilford Discussion board
« Ilford Discussion board - Best parts of Redbridge Borough »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.

Home | Help | Search | Members | Login | Register

Ilford Discussion board
   Main Messageboard
   Main
(Moderator: Nigel R - Admin)
   Best parts of Redbridge Borough
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  4 Reply | Notify of replies | Send Topic | Print
   Author  Topic: Best parts of Redbridge Borough  (Read 59464 times)
Hambo
YaBB Full Member

View Profile |

Best parts of Redbridge Borough
« on: Jun 6th, 2012, 10:58pm »
Report to moderator | Quote | Modify | Like this!

I've recently started working in the Eastend and looking to buy a property around the £400k mark preferably within walking distance of a tube station as it's my main way of commuting not just for work but leisure also.

Which area is the most pleasant.  I'm currently considering Redbridge, Gants Hill and Wanstead and from the posts on this forum best to avoid Ilford (i.e. anywhere near town centre, cranbrook road stretch??  Undecided).  So after some personal opinions as to where is considered the most pleasant part of the borough with good transport links.  Thanks all  Smiley
IP Logged
ktype
YaBB God

View Profile |

Re: Best parts of Redbridge Borough
« Reply #1 on: Jun 7th, 2012, 1:47pm »

Suli will no doubt be along soon to sing the praises of Wanstead - and I'm quite happy with that.

Barkingside is another area you might want to look at. It has two tube stations - one to the south and the other to the north of the town centre - but the problem is that most of the residential area wanders off quite some distance to the west. There is a 24 hour bus service [128], though.

Opinions of Ilford itself vary. It certainly has the best transport links. As you've mentioned it yourself, presumably National Railway stations - such as Ilford - are acceptable in lieu of the tube ...?

Usual advice is to avoid the area to the south of Ilford (others may disagree!) but you might like to consider the areas to either side of Cranbrook Road. I sometimes visit Cranbrook Road in the evening and it is quiet - even on a Saturday night - yet I'm less than a 3 minute walk from the station and town centre.

Unlike many people who ask such questions on this forum, you aren't too far away now. Might I suggest, therefore, that you explore the area yourself in your free time? Arm yourself with a local bus map - the area you are interested in should fit on one sheet of A4 - and see for yourself! After all, only you know what you really want or expect, which makes you the best person to do the research!

If you are a night owl, you might like to factor the night bus network into your search.  

You can also see some detailed local area maps here, which might be helpful.
IP Logged

When all else fails, read the instructions ...
ROCKINCAT
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #2 on: Jun 7th, 2012, 1:59pm »

Which area is the most pleasant.  I'm currently considering Redbridge, Gants Hill and Wanstead and from the posts on this forum best to avoid Ilford (i.e. anywhere near town centre, cranbrook road stretch??  Undecided).  So after some personal opinions as to where is considered the most pleasant part of the borough with good transport links.  Thanks all  Smiley [/quote]

Well you should look at Aldgate, Whitechapel and Stepney Green for the East End!!!
IP Logged
ROCKINCAT
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #3 on: Jun 7th, 2012, 2:12pm »

Oh of course Pioneer Point in Ilford!
IP Logged
Gutsy

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 7th, 2012, 3:00pm »
Report to moderator | Quote | Modify | Remove | Like this!

Well,I reckon rockincat is right!
If it were me I'd be looking at the area round Aldgate.
It's already an up and coming area and you wouldn't have to worry about transport.
You'll have to wait another 10 years for Ilford to decline to it's lowest depth and then another 40 years to come up again.
IP Logged
ROCKINCAT
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #5 on: Jun 7th, 2012, 3:45pm »

You'll have to wait another 10 years for Ilford to decline to it's lowest depth and then another 40 years to come up again.
[/quote]

Gutsy...10 years?...Make that 10 minutes!!!
IP Logged
ROCKINCAT
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #6 on: Jun 7th, 2012, 3:46pm »

If Aldgate is up and coming....God help us!!!!
IP Logged
Gutsy

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jun 7th, 2012, 5:00pm »

Mr Cat.....take a look at the house and flat prices.
Not up and coming....
I guess if The Bank of England is 10 minutes walk away the area must be a slum.
Perhaps you've been in Ilford too long and everywhere is a dump to you?
IP Logged
ROCKINCAT
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #8 on: Jun 7th, 2012, 5:09pm »

Gutsy never forget that a bad area has to end somewhere just as a good area begins somewhere.

Aldgate (and Whitechapel) are awful areas no matter how close they are to The Bank Of England.

Peckham is close to The London Docklands but who wants to live in Peckham?!!

IP Logged
ktype
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #9 on: Jun 7th, 2012, 5:11pm »

on Jun 7th, 2012, 3:00pm, Gutsy wrote:

Perhaps not ...

When Cameron Corbett developed the area along the High Road around the turn of the twentieth century, he persuaded the Great Eastern Railway to build a station at Seven Kings (and, later, Goodmayes) by guaranteeing that, if the First Class season ticket revenue did not reach £10,000 pa in one year, he would make up the shortfall.

He then built the largest houses nearest to the station and on the roads leading to it. Take the double fronted buildings, with separate servants quarters, along Cameron Road and Aldborough Road South, for instance. Large 4 and 5 bedroomed houses followed in the side roads, with house sizes and, therefore, prices dropping the further you got from the station.

In recent times, these large properties have been subdivided - in the case of the very large ones, into as many as 5 flats. Some of these have been sold but many of them have been rented and have attracted a largely itinerant population who have led to the general decline of the area.

However, things are changing. Many of these properties have gradually been sold and the population is stabilising. The large numbers of contractors vans from all over the country that used to line many streets are on the decline, despite the Olympic circus and, now, Cross Rail.

Families which might have moved on in times past are now improving and expanding their properties - end of terrace 4-bed homes, which have the potential to be expanded sideways, as well as upwards and backwards, seem particularly in demand.

There's still a long way to go but, in some parts of the borough at least, Gutsy's 50 year prediction looks set to be overtaken by a considerable margin ...
IP Logged

When all else fails, read the instructions ...
Gutsy

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jun 7th, 2012, 5:22pm »

K type,certainly some areas are easier to improve than others
Have you factored in the Ilford Lane area?
The decline started in the late 60's....so it's taken 50 years and it's still not at rock bottom.
So,at least another 10 years decline,maybe more,then it's got to rise to a decent level.
Ok,it might not be 50 years but I'll bet it's at least 3 decades plus.
The houses there,once owner occupied by single, families ,are now multi occupied.
The occupants will have to move on,they'll head east towards Romford,they won't go west,they can't afford it.
It won't be easy and it certainly won't be quick.
IP Logged
ROCKINCAT
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #11 on: Jun 7th, 2012, 5:32pm »

Gutsy so why has local govt turned a blind eye to it then?
IP Logged
Gutsy

Email

« Reply #12 on: Jun 7th, 2012, 5:34pm »

To what?
IP Logged
ROCKINCAT
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #13 on: Jun 7th, 2012, 5:35pm »

To the deciine of Ilford.
IP Logged
ROCKINCAT
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #14 on: Jun 7th, 2012, 5:39pm »

So Gutsy as you have the stats...Why did Ilford change from a nice area to what we have now.

Who caused such a change?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  4 Reply | Notify of replies | Send Topic | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »