Ilford Essex in Redbridge Greater London

Photos of Ilford Town Hall, Clock on Ilford High Road and The Exchange
You have found 'Welcome to Ilford' - the modern way to find out what's happening in Ilford, Essex and Redbridge Enjoy the message board.

Current Events
Find-a-Friend
Reviews
Ilford Facts
Need more info?
Feedback

This board is reactively moderated. If there is questionable content please use the Report to Moderator button next to the offending post. Keep this a friendly and positive place. Members may be banned who do not keep to the spirit of the forum. Posters must agree to the Rules.

Ilford Discussion board
Ilford Discussion board - Remember the good old days ....
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.

Home | Help | Search | Members | Login | Register

Ilford Discussion board
   Main Messageboard
   Main
(Moderator: Nigel R - Admin)
   Remember the good old days ....
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ...  7 Reply | Notify of replies | Send Topic | Print
   Author  Topic: Remember the good old days ....  (Read 33345 times)
ktype
YaBB God

View Profile |

Remember the good old days ....
« on: Mar 4th, 2008, 6:03pm »
Report to moderator | Quote | Modify | Like this!

TAKE A SHORT CUT TO MY LATEST ENTRY IN THIS THREAD! CLICK HERE!

(This may not be the very latest post in this thread but will take you close to it!)

#############################################################

I can remember the twopenny Woodbine - single cigarettes sold in the shop near my school to all and sundry, regardless of age - but 5 for 2d is a bit beyond (or should that be before?) me!

Never heard of them but even better value!

Half a crown for 12 pints! That's 12 gallons for a pound!

One and fourpence for a gallon - not them new fangled litres! (That works out to just over 3.5d a litre - or 1.5p in Mickey Mouse money.)

On the other hand, after all that beer .....

... perhaps it's time to let the train take the strain. (My mum always referred the Cirle Line as the Inner Circle.)

And talking of time...

It wasn't all fun though ....

Getting a little more up to date now, you could take your Hillman Minx of to France for the day ...

... and this beautiful beast used to take me to and from school on the London, Tilbury and Southend Railway ...

... when it was brand spanking new!

Before you jump to many hasty conclusions about my age, I should point out that 80151 is very much a youngster in steam engine terms!

I don't know why but I immediately thought of Feenix when I saw this ...

... because he's bound to have a witty one-liner for it.

IP Logged

When all else fails, read the instructions ...
Aussie_Pete
YaBB God

View Profile | Email

Re: Remember the good old days ....
« Reply #1 on: Mar 4th, 2008, 6:28pm »

Terrific pic's Ktype. Gees you've bought back some memories there cobber.As kids I remember traveling on the old Southend line from Woodgrange Station on the old steam trains. The new line,as we called it, that ran through Ilford was electricfied when I was a kid. Although I never smoked do remember the old Woodbines & also Players fags. What about broken biscuits you could buy and a penny worth of chips.

IP Logged

Gees it's hard to be humble.
Nimrod

Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 4th, 2008, 7:28pm »
Report to moderator | Quote | Modify | Remove | Like this!

Well done k type,so many memories I could fill a page if I get going.
You used to be able to buy 4 Domino cigarettes from the sweet shop near Pardey and Johnson in Ilford Lane.I noticed some shops in Hackney still sell single cigarettes.
Do you remember frozen Jubbly's,a pyramid shaped carton of orange juice.?
There was a shop near the entrance to Loxford Park that used to make and sell its own ice lollies.
I used to be a ship spotter and as a boy used to take the steam train to Tilbury.Even today if I close my eyes I can recall the smell and taste of loco's then,nothing else is like it.Oblong packets of tea with the dividend stamp on,butter shaped with wooden pats from Sainsbury's in Ilford Lane,wooden licorice sticks,Cadbury's Five Boys,Tiffin bars.....those were the days.

IP Logged
Nimrod

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 4th, 2008, 7:49pm »

While we're on the subject,does anyone remember seeing Cal  
McCord in the Pioneer Market.?
It would have been in the 50's.
Cal McCord was a cowboy who (like Roy Rogers and Trigger)had a horse that did tricks.The horse was called Ladybird.
I had my photo taken with him in the Market where he had hired a stall to sell photos.
Can you imagine a live horse, and all that goes with it,in an indoor food market today?'Elf'n'Safety would go apes**t.
I think Cal McCord was an American officer based here in the war and i think he was an original cast member of Riders of the Range.
Those of a certain age will remember this....Younger readers will be baffled Smiley
IP Logged
Feenix
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #4 on: Mar 4th, 2008, 9:28pm »

That sweet shop near P&J's  was called Cutlers Nim,nice work K, I remember some of those signs but I missed the tobacco one.I must have been too busy with my 'Merrymaids'
IP Logged

Bring back flower power(it's cheaper) !
ktype
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #5 on: Mar 4th, 2008, 11:01pm »

on Mar 4th, 2008, 6:28pm, Aussie_Pete wrote:
Gees you've bought back some memories there cobber.As kids I remember traveling on the old Southend line from Woodgrange Station on the old steam trains.

That was the Barking/East Ham - Kentish Town/St Pancras line, Pete.

Apart from freight, it was also used for the Boat Trains from Tilbury Riverside to St Pancras.

The Barking/East Ham bit was distinctly odd! Some trains started at East Ham, others at Barking. There was an odd working, if I recall correctly, that started from Barking and went to East Ham. Then, after the loco had run round the train, set off again for Kentish Town. Not the fastest journey in the world!

From East Ham, the line curved sharply round to join the line from Barking with a high wall between it and the back of Shakespeare Crescent. Although the track has long since gone, the route is still clearly visible on maps - look at http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=542500&Y=184500&A =Y&Z=1

For a better overall view, see http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=542500&Y=184500&A =Y&Z=3  

Although I never smoked do remember the old Woodbines & also Players fags.

Strangely enough, I don't have a Woodbine shot but I can do Players...

What about broken biscuits you could buy and a penny worth of chips.

My mum worked for a local bakery/grocery firm and used to get 7lb tins of broken biscuits. When both my brother and I were at Grammar school in Forest Gate (we lived in Grays) we both had a little supply of them for a mid-morning snack.

Never did encounter the fabled penn'orth of chips but a shop near our school used to get a massive delivery of broken crisps from time to time. The first you knew of it was seeing the lorry unloading 7lb tins and stacking them about 5 feet high on their forecourt. They sold 'em for a penny a bag ('unbroken' crisps cost 4d) but they were unsalted.

The day after the delivery, virtually everybody at my school came equipped with some form of salt dispenser!

on Mar 4th, 2008, 7:28pm, Nimrod wrote:

Do you remember frozen Jubbly's,a pyramid shaped carton of orange juice.?

The shop on the opposite corner sold frozen Jubblys in summer (Lovely Jubbly Orange Juice!) In fact, it wasn't juice but an orange cordial, or something similar. When it was frozen, you tore off one corner and sucked the orange out of it and ended up with a triangular lump of ice!

on Mar 4th, 2008, 7:28pm, Nimrod wrote:
I used to be a ship spotter and as a boy used to take the steam train to Tilbury.Even today if I close my eyes I can recall the smell and taste of loco's then,nothing else is like it.

Close your eyes and get another whiff...

... and here's another bit of nostalgia ...

... not forgetting the obligatory tea can, of course!

on Mar 4th, 2008, 7:49pm, Nimrod wrote:
While we're on the subject,does anyone remember seeing Cal  
McCord in the Pioneer Market.?

I think Cal McCord was an American officer based here in the war and i think he was an original cast member of Riders of the Range.
Those of a certain age will remember this....Younger readers will be baffled Smiley

Ah! That would be the series on the BBC Light Programme at lunchtime on Saturdays, I assume, written and produced by Charles Chiltern.

When Riders of the Range came to an end, Charles Chiltern took a turn in entirely the opposite direction and again wrote and produced a new programme - Journey into Space - starring (the Right Honorable) Andew Faulds (MP) as Jet Morgan ....

... now repeated on BBC7 from time to time, I believe ...
on Mar 4th, 2008, 7:49pm, Nimrod wrote:
They might also be baffled by 7lb tins and 4d packets of crisps!  (Translate as seven pounds - 3.2 kg - and fourpence in real money - just over a penny ha'penny in Mickey Mouse money)

Now I suppose someone will want to know what a ha'penny is ....
IP Logged

Nimrod

Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 5th, 2008, 9:28am »

K type,you'll remember this.
Before the days when everyone had a tv what did we do in the eevening.
Answer,we sat round the radio!
It's very rare now to see a kid that is scared of anything that thay see on the tv.
I remember as a youngster listening in the dark,room illuminated by a coal fire,listening to Lost in Space and being terrified.
Tame by today's standards,remeember the Dr Who with kids in gas masks,but in those days because there were no pictures the images all came from your mind.You had free rein to conjure up whatever terrible scene you could imagine.
Todays kids have it all presented to them.

On another note,youwere dead right about the Jubbly .
You were always left with a piece of ice.The best bit was the bit with the long crystals,full of "juice" and easy to bite into.

Do you remember the sweet shop in Ilford Lane that was owned by bill Fraser of The Army Game fame?
Seemed strange to go into the shop and buy something from him dressed in a cardigan when you expected battledress!
IP Logged
ktype
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #7 on: Mar 5th, 2008, 11:11am »

on Mar 5th, 2008, 9:28am, Nimrod wrote:

... in those days because there were no pictures the images all came from your mind.

It's often said that the pictures are always better on the wireless ...

... I particularly remember Journey into Space for the sound effects (the early days of the BBC Radiophonic Workshop) and the attention to detail.  

When you heard the airlock door open, you could really visualise it, for example. Unlike most sci-fi of the period and much, much later, realism was factored into the scripts - sound doesn't travel through a vacuum; 15 minutes for radio waves to reach Earth from Mars; space freighters assembled and launched from the moon don't need aerodynamic shapes because there's no atmosphere; etc.

It really was way ahead of its time.

Do you remember the sweet shop in Ilford Lane that was owned by bill Fraser of The Army Game fame?
Seemed strange to go into the shop and buy something from him dressed in a cardigan when you expected battledress!

Sorry - I fail on 2 counts here! Didn't move to Ilford 'til 1973 and didn't have tv when The Army Game was shown. But I do remember all my mates going around doing Bernard Bresslaw impressions!
IP Logged

Topsy

Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 5th, 2008, 1:43pm »

Wonderful pix ktype, thanks.

The main thing I remember about my childhood in the fifties was the freedom that children had.  I grew up in a very rural area and the local fields and woods were the playground of all the local kids.

We would wander for miles and miles, climb trees, pick bluebells in the bluebell woods, gather conkers and acorns, make dens, fish for newts and water snails in the local pond and generally explore until we knew the area like the backs of our hands.

Nothing bad ever happened to anyone, although a few kids fell into the pond while fishing and would then get a clip round the ear from their mum for returning home dripping wet!

Very few people had TVs and after school kids would play together in the street.  A long length of clothes line stretched across the road was a communal skipping rope.  Another favourite was 'off ground touch' as well as hopscotch, 'what's the time Mr Wolf?' and of course 'it'.

The outdoor life kept us fit, unlike today's junk food generation sitting in front of their computers and TVs.
IP Logged
Nimrod

Email

« Reply #9 on: Mar 5th, 2008, 6:54pm »

Actually Topsy you've described what it was like growing up in Ilford in the 50's although our playground was a bit more urban.
Loxford Park ,the Rec in Uphall Rd and the big park, Barking Park,were our rural playgrounds.
Like you, we were safe,although temptation was often in our way.
From the Rec in Uphall rd you could get through to the banks of the River Roding.Our parents told us that the weeds would suck us under if we fell in but that didn't stop us from building rafts.I must say though that we didn't go on it in full flood,if it was a dirty brown colour and fast moving it was best avoided.We didn't have tv until well into the 60's so our childhood was spent outside.In the winter when it was dark we used to play outside in the street with torches.Can you imagine it now?
We'd all have Asbos.
IP Logged
gazza
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #10 on: Mar 5th, 2008, 7:02pm »

I remember going into Bill Frasers sweet shop,once wearing my dixon of dock green,glow in the dark belt,and a plastic bobby hat[I always did have great fashion sense,...topped off with brushed denim bell bottoms,and way finder boots,with a compas in the heel,made me the ace face,in Ilford back in the 60s,but I degress]Any way I tried to pay for a mars bar,but he told me it was on the house as they never charge the local constabulary.
Any way as I closed the door on the way out,I heared him and his assistant fall about laughing about something?
He must have been working on some lines for his show,as by the sound it was very funny?
 Huh

IP Logged
Nimrod

Email

« Reply #11 on: Mar 5th, 2008, 8:21pm »

K type,I was never a train spotter(my interest in steam came as I got older)but when I was about 11 I went spotting with a friend from Bengal Rd.
He took me God knows where one day ,looking at trains from bridges,through holes in fences etc.
I don't remember too much from that day but I do remember being invited into the cab of the Dominion of Canada.I do remember how clean it was and how friendly the driver and fireman were and the pride they showed when explaining things.
Do you know what main line station in london this would have been and do you know what happened to the engine.?
IP Logged
honeybun
YaBB Junior Member

View Profile |

« Reply #12 on: Mar 6th, 2008, 3:31am »

It's very rare now to see a kid that is scared of anything that thay see on the tv.
I remember as a youngster listening in the dark,room illuminated by a coal fire,listening to Lost in Space and being terrified.
Tame by today's standards,remeember the Dr Who with kids in gas masks,but in those days because there were no pictures the images all came from your mind.You had free rein to conjure up whatever terrible scene you could imagine.
Todays kids have it all presented to them.

On another note,youwere dead right about the Jubbly .
You were always left with a piece of ice.The best bit was the bit with the long crystals,full of "juice" and easy to bite into.

Yes I remember Bill Fraser's shop as i lived in Ilford Lane and was always walking past to see him.  Now in Oz, but wanted pictures or info on the Harrison Gibson fire maybe in the 60's.  Remember Dickie Henderson opened it but think it was only a couple of years before it burned down.....anybody?
Sorry just joined and went into wrong thing to reply - dah!!
IP Logged
Nimrod

Email

« Reply #13 on: Mar 6th, 2008, 3:37pm »

Perhaps maybe k type might be able to kindly dig out some pics and info on the Harrison Gibson fire,I would be really interested as well.I know it was before K type's time in Ilford but the fire was a big event at the time.
I remember going to watch it,crowds turned up.
IP Logged
Aussie_Pete
YaBB God

View Profile | Email

« Reply #14 on: Mar 6th, 2008, 9:46pm »

Was 17th March 1959 Nimrod & Honeybun. Have sent a couple of pics to Ktype but the quality isn't the best. Had to take a photo as I haven't got a scanner.
IP Logged

Gees it's hard to be humble.
Pages: 1 2 3  ...  7 Reply | Notify of replies | Send Topic | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »