Ilford Essex in Redbridge Greater London

Photos of Ilford Town Hall, Clock on Ilford High Road and The Exchange
You have found 'Welcome to Ilford' - the modern way to find out what's happening in Ilford, Essex and Redbridge Enjoy the message board.

Current Events
Find-a-Friend
Reviews
Ilford Facts
Need more info?
Feedback

This board is reactively moderated. If there is questionable content please use the Report to Moderator button next to the offending post. Keep this a friendly and positive place. Members may be banned who do not keep to the spirit of the forum. Posters must agree to the Rules.

Ilford Discussion board
Ilford Discussion board - How much do you miss ilford?
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.

Home | Help | Search | Members | Login | Register

Ilford Discussion board
   Main Messageboard
   Main
(Moderator: Nigel R - Admin)
   How much do you miss ilford?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9  10 Reply | Notify of replies | Send Topic | Print
   Author  Topic: How much do you miss ilford?  (Read 18775 times)
Suli
YaBB God

View Profile | Email

Re: How much do you miss ilford?
« Reply #90 on: Jan 31st, 2007, 4:25pm »
Report to moderator | Quote | Modify | Like this!

well, if I remember rightly, your senior school was not strictly speaking in Ilford.  I went there too and it was ok, my daughter goes there now and she is loving it - so far.

I wasn't knocking the football thing either. My bloke would watch it and play it morning noon and night if he could  Roll Eyes
IP Logged
Ernest
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #91 on: Feb 2nd, 2007, 12:14am »

Each to their own. What's good for one isn't always good for the other. Have to say that the school in question hardly prepared me for the outside world. The real learning curve for youngsters is not what school tells them, but when they enter the big wide world after leaving it.
IP Logged
Ernest
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #92 on: Feb 2nd, 2007, 12:17am »

Paid my first visit to the Ilford shopping centre for a long while today. It was good to be able to walk down the precinct without being stopped by someone doing a survey or asking to sign a petition.  
However, doesn't that usually occur more on a Saturday?
IP Logged
Suli
YaBB God

View Profile | Email

« Reply #93 on: Feb 2nd, 2007, 8:34am »

Blimey are you invisible or something, Ernest?
I hate walking down the high road for a number of reasons, but one is because you have to run the gauntlet through the hoards of charity workers, survey stalkers and catatlogue sellers!  Angry

I have sussed that if you are on your mobile, you will be left alone so PLEASE tell us how you managed to avoid them!
IP Logged
Angel
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #94 on: Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:39am »

Those people make a beeline for me all the time - I think I must have the look of someone who won't be rude or something, cos even when I've got my headphones plugged in they still accost me!  

I remember one of the more tenacious 'chuggers' giving me a really hard time in Romford because I wouldn't sign up to support her charity.  As I pointed out to her at the time, while it might have only been a few quid a month, she had no idea what my level of giving was, so no matter how small the amount she wanted, it might well have been a small amount too far.  The bloomin' woman really wouldn't get off my back and I think she did her charity more harm than good cos she really p*ssed me off.  I should have complained about her to the charity I s'pose, but of course lazy pants that I am I couldn't be bothered... D'oh!
IP Logged
Suli
YaBB God

View Profile | Email

« Reply #95 on: Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:49am »

I want to know how they sleep at nights the aggravating, scruffy pains in the butts that they are!

In Stratford, one of them asked me if I had time to talk about homeless children or some other afflicted children groups (can't remember)  
I was waiting for a friend, so had to stay still and it may have looked like I had all the time in the world.
Even so I told him 'no, sorry'  

He said something about having time to listen,
I told him 'no, sorry' again.

He then opened his gob to ask me again - the bare-faced cheek of the man!
Incredulously I said 'what part of no don't you understand?!'
He slunk off to find his next victim.

They make me mad!  In Ilford they jump out at you like a court jester or call you 'darlin' and stuff as if anything lke that is going to make me talk to them!

They are the on a par with those awful telephone cold-callers who invade your house in the evenings and ask if you want to do a survey/buy some windows/get insurance.

I hate them all and they all make me want to go aaarrgggh!! Furious
IP Logged
paddington

Email

« Reply #96 on: Feb 2nd, 2007, 12:49pm »
Report to moderator | Quote | Modify | Remove | Like this!

Makes me go AAAAAGH as well.  

Never understood the economics of it. You pay a charity mugger 7.50 per hour to stand in the street for eight hours - cost 60 per day. You make a direct debit to the charity for 5 per month which means the charity gets 60 in a year. Nett profit to charity over full year - zero!!!! Am I missing something?

I give money to charity out of my pay and I get an avalanche of literature shoved through my door asking for even more. Its got to the stage that I'm getting 4 or 5 requests a week for money from organisations which I support already. My contributions seem to be being eaten up in postage costs never mind saving the whales/pandas and iother cuddly animals etc. (unless they live in the post office)

IP Logged
Angel
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #97 on: Feb 2nd, 2007, 7:44pm »

Suli try putting yourself on the phone list that means you don't get cold callers - dunno what the number is but I did it a few years ago and I haven't had any bother since.

Mind you even before that I'd ask straight away if it was a sales call and when they said yes tell them that I wasn't interested which usually works. Doesn't make you feel much better if you've run to get the phone though. It was the ones that said 'no' and then proceeded to try and sell me something who really p*ssed me off though.

Lol @ panda's and other cuddly animals living in the post office!
IP Logged
Aussie_Pete
YaBB God

View Profile | Email

« Reply #98 on: Feb 2nd, 2007, 9:30pm »

It's the wings on yer back Angel. That's why they make a beeline for yer.
IP Logged

Gees it's hard to be humble.
Ernest
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #99 on: Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:49am »

Perhaps the aggressive way I look at these people means I get left alone. However I'm not confrontational by nature though.
IP Logged
Suli
YaBB God

View Profile | Email

« Reply #100 on: Feb 3rd, 2007, 9:28pm »

Ernest, you said that so aggressively that I have to believe you lol  Wink

Angel, that list doesn't work.  Some companies use something that dials random numbers and puts them through to the first available operator when you answer.  that's why there is an audible 'click' noise as you pick and also why sometimes there is no-one at the other end if an operator is not ready.  
IP Logged
Ernest
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #101 on: Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:02pm »

This problem with surveys, petitions and political activists doesn't seem to happen in Barking though. However I do try to restrict my visits there.
IP Logged
Suli
YaBB God

View Profile | Email

« Reply #102 on: Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:05pm »

why that is because if you stand still for too long in Barking you are likely to get robbed/stabbed/raped by the delightful people who frequent the Town Centre.
IP Logged
Ernest
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #103 on: Feb 4th, 2007, 8:35pm »

You're right there Suli. When in Barking I just like to go about my business ASAP and get back home again. I particularly hate it there outside the railway station on midweek rush hour evenings or when West Ham have been at home. It seems to be a magnet then for ignorant rabble.
IP Logged
Suli
YaBB God

View Profile | Email

« Reply #104 on: Feb 5th, 2007, 12:58pm »

rabble - how very polite of you to call them that Ernest!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9  10 Reply | Notify of replies | Send Topic | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »