Ilford Essex in Redbridge Greater London

Photos of Ilford Town Hall, Clock on Ilford High Road and The Exchange
You have found 'Welcome to Ilford' - the modern way to find out what's happening in Ilford, Essex and Redbridge Enjoy the message board.

Current Events
Find-a-Friend
Reviews
Ilford Facts
Need more info?
Feedback

This board is reactively moderated. If there is questionable content please use the Report to Moderator button next to the offending post. Keep this a friendly and positive place. Members may be banned who do not keep to the spirit of the forum. Posters must agree to the Rules.

Ilford Discussion board
« Ilford Discussion board - How much do you miss ilford? »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.

Home | Help | Search | Members | Login | Register

Ilford Discussion board
   Main Messageboard
   Main
(Moderator: Nigel R - Admin)
   How much do you miss ilford?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10  Reply | Notify of replies | Send Topic | Print
   Author  Topic: How much do you miss ilford?  (Read 14410 times)
Scribbles
YaBB God

View Profile |

Re: How much do you miss ilford?
« Reply #135 on: Sep 20th, 2016, 5:51pm »
Report to moderator | Quote | Modify | Like this!

Hang on to your memories, Feenix and don't come back even to visit because the state of the place now could only tarnish the good memories.

Until recently, I've defended Ilford against its detractors on this forum but now even I have had enough of  the place. The population has increased massively in the past 10 years and facilities such as schools, nurseries, GPs, hospitals etc haven't expanded to match.  Many of the incomers appear to have no interest  in speaking English. I am not any kind of a racist but, if you're going to live somewhere, then learn the language - it's only polite!  

Litter and rubbish are everywhere and street cleaning seems to have diminished. I think the final straw for me was in February when Mr Scribbles left his coat over a chair in a pub while he went to the Gents and, when he came out, it had been stolen.  It was on the bar cctv - the tea-leaves picked it up and examined it then decided they liked it well enough to walk out with it!  It had  his rather nice digital camera in the pocket, too.... I know these things happen anywhere but, for me, it just summed up the kind of low-class place the town has turned into. Two weeks ago, someone stole my dustbin from beside the gate. I saw him walk away from an upstairs window but, by the time I got downstairs and outside, he'd disappeared. (If he's reading this and would care to come back, we still have the lid which you left on the path Roll Eyes )

I'm outa here, very soon, returning to the East Midlands which still feels like the country I grew up in.
IP Logged

Born free.... now I'm expensive.
Feenix
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #136 on: Sep 21st, 2016, 2:44am »

Sorry to here of your woes Scribs,pinching a bin is just about scraping the barrel(hope they took the rubbish with it)!Living in Brisvegas has made my last 30 years a happy, healthy period of my life and a great place to raise my kids.Television doco's on England convince me I made the right decision to come to Oz in '76,I wish my siblings had done the same but sadly I can't have everything.
IP Logged

Bring back flower power(it's cheaper) !
Pompadour
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #137 on: Sep 27th, 2016, 5:48pm »

on Sep 20th, 2016, 5:51pm, Scribbles wrote:
Hang on to your memories, Feenix and don't come back even to visit because the state of the place now could only tarnish the good memories.

Until recently, I've defended Ilford against its detractors on this forum but now even I have had enough of  the place. The population has increased massively in the past 10 years and facilities such as schools, nurseries, GPs, hospitals etc haven't expanded to match.  Many of the incomers appear to have no interest  in speaking English. I am not any kind of a racist but, if you're going to live somewhere, then learn the language - it's only polite!  

Litter and rubbish are everywhere and street cleaning seems to have diminished. I think the final straw for me was in February when Mr Scribbles left his coat over a chair in a pub while he went to the Gents and, when he came out, it had been stolen.  It was on the bar cctv - the tea-leaves picked it up and examined it then decided they liked it well enough to walk out with it!  It had  his rather nice digital camera in the pocket, too.... I know these things happen anywhere but, for me, it just summed up the kind of low-class place the town has turned into. Two weeks ago, someone stole my dustbin from beside the gate. I saw him walk away from an upstairs window but, by the time I got downstairs and outside, he'd disappeared. (If he's reading this and would care to come back, we still have the lid which you left on the path Roll Eyes )

I'm outa here, very soon, returning to the East Midlands which still feels like the country I grew up in.

I think you have made the right choice there scribbs, I don't regret moving here to Gloucestershire in the early 60s one little bit. Good luck to you and Mr Scribbs.
IP Logged
Scribbles
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #138 on: Oct 23rd, 2016, 7:09pm »

Following a few weeks Elsewhere, I can now report on the things I miss (in the same way you miss a toothache when it's gone).
I miss the nightly racket of anti-social idiots rambling home in the early hours while yakking loudly on their mobile phones; I miss the tide of dog droppings left in the street for anyone and everyone to tread in; I miss the illegal dumping of rubbish in the side street round the corner; I miss the surly people who deliberately park outside my gate and don't move their car for 2 weeks even though there is a perfectly good parking space outside their own house; I miss the drifting litter that makes its way into my garden from the street; I miss the sensation of being abroad every time I get on a bus or go in a shop and find I'm the only one speaking English; I miss being in a jerry built old terraced house where I can hear my neighbours' TV whether I want to or not; I miss having to wait 5 weeks for a GP appointment.
Do I need to go on?
Regrettably, I have some unfinished business and shall have to return for a brief period before the year ends. It will be a wrench, believe me!
IP Logged

Hambo
YaBB Full Member

View Profile |

« Reply #139 on: Nov 13th, 2016, 4:28pm »

Hi Scribbles, whereabouts in Ilford do you live?
IP Logged
Scribbles
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #140 on: Nov 14th, 2016, 10:59am »

I don't live there any more, Hambo. I spent 40+ years in the Seven Kings /Newbury Park area but moved out earlier this year. I'm now in the East Midlands, close to the area where I grew up, and happier than I've been for years. Smiley
IP Logged

Feenix
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #141 on: Dec 17th, 2016, 5:26am »

I'm not saying I miss Ilford but when I was a lad in the 50's and 60's I enjoyed many a Christmas in the cold and snow.Sitting in a temp of 32 degrees Celsius right now I miss Ilford in December.Merry Christmas and H.N.Y to all on this forum from Brisvegas in Oz.
IP Logged

Bring back flower power(it's cheaper) !
Scribbles
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #142 on: Dec 20th, 2016, 10:48am »

And I wish the compliments of the season to everyone here, whether in Ilford, Brisvegas or elsewhere!
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10  Reply | Notify of replies | Send Topic | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »