Ilford Essex in Redbridge Greater London

Photos of Ilford Town Hall, Clock on Ilford High Road and The Exchange
You have found 'Welcome to Ilford' - the modern way to find out what's happening in Ilford, Essex and Redbridge Enjoy the message board.

Current Events
Find-a-Friend
Reviews
Ilford Facts
Need more info?
Feedback

This board is reactively moderated. If there is questionable content please use the Report to Moderator button next to the offending post. Keep this a friendly and positive place. Members may be banned who do not keep to the spirit of the forum. Posters must agree to the Rules.

Ilford Discussion board
« Ilford Discussion board - How much do you miss ilford? »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.

Home | Help | Search | Members | Login | Register

Ilford Discussion board
   Main Messageboard
   Main
(Moderator: Nigel R - Admin)
   How much do you miss ilford?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10  Reply | Notify of replies | Send Topic | Print
   Author  Topic: How much do you miss ilford?  (Read 15737 times)
Nigel R - Admin
YaBB Administrator

View Profile | WWW | Email

Re: How much do you miss ilford?
« Reply #120 on: Mar 6th, 2007, 7:08pm »
Report to moderator | Quote | Modify | Like this!

-this post is intentionally left blank-
IP Logged
yanville

Email

« Reply #121 on: Mar 7th, 2007, 4:56pm »
Report to moderator | Quote | Modify | Remove | Like this!

...why nige !??!

...anyway it would be nice to have some more ex-ilfordians who have "escaped" from this country and found a new home elsewhere on this planet posting on here!!!  Thumbs up
IP Logged
ktype
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #122 on: Mar 8th, 2007, 11:39am »

on Mar 2nd, 2007, 9:35pm, Suli wrote:

Now Ktype, did you have to check his profile for that or did you just know it in your head hmm?Raise eyebrow

When I originally typed it, I did it from memory - I knew we hadn't heard from Feenix since well before Christmas - but I must confess that I did check it against his profile before I posted it!  ;D

* I got a sweater for Christmas. I really wanted a screamer or a moaner *
IP Logged

When all else fails, read the instructions ...
brinsdon
YaBB Full Member

View Profile |

« Reply #123 on: Feb 23rd, 2016, 10:22pm »

I get on Google Earth to see where I lived and where I went to School.
IP Logged
Feenix
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #124 on: Feb 24th, 2016, 2:36am »

An old cliché is about taking the boy out of Ilford etc...,I miss Ilford in the 60's and 70's,don't think I'd miss what it's become.Pity life has to change from our favourite moments. !
IP Logged

Bring back flower power(it's cheaper) !
Toby
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #125 on: Feb 24th, 2016, 9:37am »

With you there Feenix.
Growing up there in the 50's and 60's was brilliant.
On the rare occasions I've been back to have a snoop I was only too pleased to vamoose.
IP Logged
Pompadour
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #126 on: Feb 24th, 2016, 12:47pm »

on Feb 24th, 2016, 9:37am, Toby wrote:
With you there Feenix.
Growing up there in the 50's and 60's was brilliant.
On the rare occasions I've been back to have a snoop I was only too pleased to vamoose.

With you both there, it was a great place to be in the 50s/60s
IP Logged
Feenix
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #127 on: Mar 18th, 2016, 1:29am »

I wonder if anyone can update me on a few Ilford memories of mine ?Do these places still exist,The Angel,The Cranbrook Hotel,Loxford Park,Barking Park and The Plough Ilford Lane ?They were all memories of my youth and it would be nice to know about them.Thanks in anticipation from Orstralia.
IP Logged

Scribbles
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #128 on: Mar 18th, 2016, 2:45pm »

Hi, Feenix. As one of the few contributors who still lives in Ilford, I'm probably as well placed as anyone to answer your questions. Smiley
The Angel that you remember closed down in the 80s and the building was bashed about and became a burger joint for a few years. Now, it's a women's clothing store. A new pub was created at the rear of the old building with its entrance off Station Road; this is an Irish themed watering hole, part of the O'Neills' chain and bears no resemblance to the Angel of old.
The Cranbrook Hotel still thrives in Coventry Road and has expanded with an annexe across the road on the corner of Granville Road.
The Cranbrook public house on Cranbrook Road, however, is no more. It struggled on as a pub in various guises but never seemed to prosper. Possibly, it was down to people not liking the way their feet stuck to the yucky carpets or maybe the lack of drinkable beer ... Whatever, it's currently in use as a banqueting hall and has survived in that form for two or three years now.
The Plough, alas, was demolished about 10 years ago and a walk-in medical centre built on the site.
Barking and Loxford Parks are still here, thank goodness; with the rate every spare square metre of ground is being turned into thoroughly un-des res  apartment blocks, we need all the green space we can get.
IP Logged

Born free.... now I'm expensive.
Feenix
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #129 on: Mar 20th, 2016, 11:51pm »

Thanks Sribs(I can call you Scribs)?That was most informative of you.I was born in Henley road and the parks were my playground.I haven't been back since '98 and I don't think I ever will but Ilford was a happy part of my life.You can't beat the British sense of humour and their ability to enjoy 'the moment'.Remember:A hangover is "The wrath of grapes",and ham and eggs is a days work for a chicken but a lifetime commitment for a pig!
IP Logged

Scribbles
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #130 on: Mar 22nd, 2016, 11:21pm »

on Mar 20th, 2016, 11:51pm, Feenix wrote:
Thanks Sribs(I can call you Scribs)?

...Remember:A hangover is "The wrath of grapes",and ham and eggs is a days work for a chicken but a lifetime commitment for a pig!

ROFL

PS. Please do call me Scribs; it's much better than some of the things I've been called in my time!
IP Logged

Born free.... now I'm expensive.
ktype
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #131 on: Apr 1st, 2016, 5:24pm »

Here's an illustrated guide.

on Mar 18th, 2016, 2:45pm, Scribbles wrote:

The Angel that you remember closed down in the 80s and the building was bashed about and became a burger joint for a few years. Now, it's a women's clothing store. A new pub was created at the rear of the old building with its entrance off Station Road; this is an Irish themed watering hole, part of the O'Neills' chain and bears no resemblance to the Angel of old.

This is how it looks from the High Road these days ...

You used to be able to walk through to the new pub at the back (based on the old stable block) but the gates seem to be closed these days.

When it first opened it kept the original Angel name. Unusually, for a new building, it had gas lights over the bar just above head height (because of the low ceiling) rather than the much higher location in traditional pubs, like the Cauliflower.  

I was in there one day when a lad in his late teens or early 20s stood next to me at the bar. His attention was drawn to the lamp above his head both by the radiated heat and the typical hissing sound. Suddenly he reached up and grabbed the mantle between thumb and forefinger! The mantle, of course, disintegrated and his finger and thumb promptly disappeared into his mouth as he attempted to neutralise the pain! "Haven't you seen a gas light before?", I asked. "No!" he mumbled - his mouth still being rather full at the time - and vigorously shook his head ...

Here is the view from Station Road but note that 109 is its High Road number!

The Cranbrook Hotel still thrives in Coventry Road and has expanded with an annexe across the road on the corner of Granville Road.

I'm not aware of any annex but I think it might have expanded sideways since you knew it. There is now competition next door from the recently opened Rotana Hotel

Where the back gardens would have been has been cleared to provide a car park, accessible from Granville Road.  

The Cranbrook public house on Cranbrook Road, however, is no more. It struggled on as a pub in various guises but never seemed to prosper. Possibly, it was down to people not liking the way their feet stuck to the yucky carpets or maybe the lack of drinkable beer ... Whatever, it's currently in use as a banqueting hall and has survived in that form for two or three years now.

Even in its new guise it has changed hands in the last few years. It is rarely used - I don't think I've seen it open more than three or four times in the last 6 months. The only clue to its previous existence is the remains of the post that held the old pub sign.  

The Plough, alas, was demolished about 10 years ago and a walk-in medical centre built on the site.

No trace of the original here. It was completely demolished to make way for the Health Centre.
IP Logged

Feenix
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #132 on: Sep 9th, 2016, 2:04am »

G'day ktype,I'm terribly sorry I never noticed your great post with all the photos.I really did appreciate your time and effort.I see you're still alive and kicking,glad to hear it.The halcyon days of this site seem long ago but whilst there's life there's WTI.
IP Logged

ktype
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #133 on: Sep 16th, 2016, 12:02pm »

on Sep 9th, 2016, 2:04am, Feenix wrote:
The halcyon days of this site seem long ago ...

Yes Feenix, its a great shame that Nigel allowed a group of ne'er do wells to run rings around him while they sabotaged the site's good reputation and friendly atmosphere.

I've often wondered what Aussie Pete might have made of it all ...

They even managed to convince Nigel that I was doing nasty things to Yanny, making fun of him and all sorts - if I so much as mentioned Yanny in a post I would get a PM from Nigel warning me off and threatening me with a permanent ban.

I began to believe that he thought I was pushing Yanny to verge of suicide!

Then one day I got PM from Yanny asking me if I'd like to join him for a drink on one of his occasional visits to Ilford, which I accepted, more out of curiosity than anything else.

So I took him to task over all these accusations and asked him what was going on. You couldn't fake the stunned expression of astonishment on his face - he hadn't a clue what had been going on and had certainly never complained to Nigel about me.

We then spent the rest of the time discussing the possible list of culprits - although we didn't both agree on all counts - but there should have been lots ears burning that afternoon!

Funny old world, ain't it?
IP Logged

Feenix
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #134 on: Sep 19th, 2016, 2:14am »

Good to hear from ya Ktype,I often wished I could have been at some of those 'meet ups'.I did meet the couple who came out to Oz for a visit (pretty sure it was Dawn and her fella)it was a pleasant day we shared in Brisvegas.I think they travelled around for a few days and then returned to Bath,never to be heard from again.I've been here forty years now but still have fond memories of Ilford in th 60's and early 70's.Don't think i'll be back anytime soon !
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10  Reply | Notify of replies | Send Topic | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »