Ilford Essex in Redbridge Greater London

Photos of Ilford Town Hall, Clock on Ilford High Road and The Exchange
You have found 'Welcome to Ilford' - the modern way to find out what's happening in Ilford, Essex and Redbridge Enjoy the message board.

Current Events
Find-a-Friend
Reviews
Ilford Facts
Need more info?
Feedback

This board is reactively moderated. If there is questionable content please use the Report to Moderator button next to the offending post. Keep this a friendly and positive place. Members may be banned who do not keep to the spirit of the forum. Posters must agree to the Rules.

Ilford Discussion board
« Ilford Discussion board - Smoking in pubs »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.

Home | Help | Search | Members | Login | Register

Ilford Discussion board
   Main Messageboard
   Main
(Moderator: Nigel R - Admin)
   Smoking in pubs
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ...  11 Reply | Notify of replies | Send Topic | Print
   Author  Topic: Smoking in pubs  (Read 8681 times)
Feenix
YaBB God

View Profile |

Re: Smoking in pubs
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25th, 2005, 7:41am »
Report to moderator | Quote | Modify | Like this!

Hi Fred,as I mentioned I smoked for 37 years,then my lifelong friend had his voice-box removed from throat cancer (according to his doc directly attributed to smoking).I stopped and haven't started yet 3 years on.I used to enjoy a puff so it was hard but so is talking with a valve in ya throat!Harsh I know but it's his reality.! You really don't want to go there!
IP Logged

Bring back flower power(it's cheaper) !
Suli
YaBB God

View Profile | Email

« Reply #16 on: Jan 25th, 2005, 9:01am »

Sorry to hear about your mate, Feenix.  It does have a sobering effect on people.  It is strange (not a good choice of word) that some people smoke like troopers and live to be 100 whilst others succumb to the diseases associated with smoking early in life.  I knew a woman who died of lung cancer aged 36, she had never smoked in her life.
IP Logged
Aussie_Pete
YaBB God

View Profile | Email

« Reply #17 on: Jan 25th, 2005, 10:14am »

Of course no one can condone drink driving Sky'. I admit I missed that issue. The point is that in moderation drinking doesn't do you any harm but every cigarete does. Don't know bugger all about Britain but can assure you that the effects of smoking costs the Australian Health system alot more than drinking does. Personally I wouldn't not go somewhere because it was a smoking venue but all our smoking friends respect the fact that we don't smoke and wouldn't dream of lighting up inside our house....Pete.
IP Logged

Gees it's hard to be humble.
Aussie_Pete
YaBB God

View Profile | Email

« Reply #18 on: Jan 25th, 2005, 10:28am »

It would be Sky'. Binge drinking is a problem here as well at times and there's no doubt that drinking does cost our Health System as well. It's very hard not to get personal for me on this issue but you'll have to take my word for it but if I had been a smoker I wouldn't be sitting at my PC right now and I hope I don't come over as a wowser..Pete.
IP Logged

Aussie_Pete
YaBB God

View Profile | Email

« Reply #19 on: Jan 25th, 2005, 12:17pm »

Fair enough Sky' but I reckon you'd enjoy one of my Home Brews cobber. The odd vice is essential for happiness don't yer reckon.....Pete.
IP Logged

azzba
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #20 on: Jan 25th, 2005, 12:31pm »

I'm sure AP's got a big metal one bolted to the workbench in his shed & uses it to crack nuts whilst downing a few of those home brews.
IP Logged
Jamlamont
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #21 on: Jan 25th, 2005, 9:01pm »

Okay, guys, here we go: [As promised]:

WHO COSTS THE NHS MOST IN THEIR LIFETIME?

These answers are taken from documented statistics both in the UK & Europe.

1]      The Keep-Fit Fanatic:

Wears out joints more quickly leading to expensive joint and knee operations in later life. Overwork of  heart muscle which then malfunctions in later life due to reduced activity and requires highly expensive surgery but generally dies sooner than the moderate keep-fit person thereby releasing their pension rights back to the state.

2]      The moderate keep-fit person:

Gentle exercise throughout life, sensible diet, non-smokers. On average live longer than their fatter, and/or smoking counterparts by 6 – 10 years. However, people whose physical fitness prevails are far more susceptible to dementia type illnesses.  With extended longevity, 10 years in a rest home or EMI nursing home costs £250,000 per person – either costing the state or the family or a combination of both  - and all of this time they are entitled to their pensions and all other benefits.

3]      The Obese Person:

Generally prone to heart disease and related diseases such as diabetes etc., Can cost the NHS with expensive heart surgery but still less than a thinner person with heart disease because their heart will not stand up to repeat and/or additional surgery very often.  Because of their obesity, their joints do wear out more quickly with the strain but, again, repeat or extensive surgery is often precluded if heart disease is present. Again, obese people can die earlier than their slimmer counterparts.  

4]      The Smoker:

Whilst smokers can cost the NHS with smoking related illness, this, pro-rata, is less than other treatments because many of the smoking related diseases [apart from heart disease] like emphysema or lung cancer etc., are not treatable and require only pain-killing and palliative care until death and their condition is rarely long-term. Little is said   of the £4 bn. Revenue that smokers pay on cigarette taxes and this more than covers what they cost the NHS in illness and treatment. On average a smoker will die at 74 where as non-smoker will live until 80+.  Therefore, over a lifetime, smokers will most likely die early, requiring the least expensive and shortest treatments; they will not be drawing their pensions [or other benefits] which go back to the state again.  The 4bn. that is accrued from taxes on cigarettes pays for a huge amount of the NHS care and treatment and if everyone suddenly gave up smoking, every one else’s taxes would have to soar dramatically to cover the shortfall.  So whilst smoking may make one a social pariah, in practice, they contribute the most in taxes and cost the NHS less than any other group and effectively pay for their own and other’s treatment.  

IP Logged
Xena
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #22 on: Jan 25th, 2005, 9:16pm »

I'm trying to think of what my vices are as i don't smoke or drink, would never touch drugs, don't eat much in the way of meat or fatty foods, not into chocolate...what am I thinking?!!  As for smokers, my grandfather smoked all his life and it's his 83rd birthday next week.
IP Logged

I have many skills.
Aussie_Pete
YaBB God

View Profile | Email

« Reply #23 on: Jan 26th, 2005, 4:13am »

Jam', I reckon No.1. Only a hunch but I do know that sports injuries cost our Health System heaps. By the way my home brew is a medicine, just ask Fred's partner Phil'. That last bit sounds a odd don't it..Pete.
IP Logged

Bertie
YaBB God

View Profile | Email

« Reply #24 on: Jan 26th, 2005, 6:50am »

lololol  I have to laugh at the 1st on your list Jamla, as a gym fanatic I took out my hip joint and damaged my neck and have now been banned from running and lifting which in turn means I have more time on my hands so I smoke more and as I no longer exercise I am becoming obese - I could end up costing the NHS a fortune and all because I wanted to be fit!!
Dawn
IP Logged

Does being older make me wiser?
Iain

Email

« Reply #25 on: Jan 26th, 2005, 10:22am »
Report to moderator | Quote | Modify | Remove | Like this!

As it said in the express yesterday,24 hour drinking is "Tony Blairs Poll Tax" which means he has already dug his own grave with regard to the next General Election.....
IP Logged
BRIGHT_SPARK

Email

« Reply #26 on: Jan 26th, 2005, 12:38pm »

Just a short point on Smoking -- Not able to visit Pubs or Restraunts due to smokers. Not there fault, Maybe, Not my fault, due to my Asthma. I choke and the asthma kicks in and I wheeze like an Older man.  

I prefer to sit in clean smokefree places because of this. I have never smoked, My Wife did at school. but before i went out with her 27 years ago, I asked if she smoked. By then she had stopped. Never restarted, thank goodness.  

My 3 kids all smoked at school. 2 still smoke - for there nerves they tell me. I will not allow smoking in my house. If they must smoke, then they have to go in the garden.

Trouble is, with one, who has a 3 year old, he is now starting to suffer with colds and coughs, which in my opinion is because he is in a smoky environment. I want her to stop, it will affect my Grandson. But I cant tell her this. Its so unfair to my grandson.  IMHO
IP Logged
Vix

Email

« Reply #27 on: Jan 26th, 2005, 12:43pm »

Why can't you say anything to her?  I bet the poor little chap smells like a dirty ash tray as well.

You'll be able to go to Wetherspoons pubs, when the smoking ban kicks in.
IP Logged
BRIGHT_SPARK

Email

« Reply #28 on: Jan 26th, 2005, 12:52pm »

I also walk and ride a biycle.
IP Logged
Vix

Email

« Reply #29 on: Jan 26th, 2005, 12:55pm »

Really??  What's a biycle?  Is it some northern contraption?  ;D
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ...  11 Reply | Notify of replies | Send Topic | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »