Ilford Essex in Redbridge Greater London

Photos of Ilford Town Hall, Clock on Ilford High Road and The Exchange
You have found 'Welcome to Ilford' - the modern way to find out what's happening in Ilford, Essex and Redbridge Enjoy the message board.

Current Events
Find-a-Friend
Reviews
Ilford Facts
Need more info?
Feedback

This board is reactively moderated. If there is questionable content please use the Report to Moderator button next to the offending post. Keep this a friendly and positive place. Members may be banned who do not keep to the spirit of the forum. Posters must agree to the Rules.

Ilford Discussion board
« Ilford Discussion board - Smoking in pubs »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.

Home | Help | Search | Members | Login | Register

Ilford Discussion board
   Main Messageboard
   Main
(Moderator: Nigel R - Admin)
   Smoking in pubs
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ...  11 Reply | Notify of replies | Send Topic | Print
   Author  Topic: Smoking in pubs  (Read 9110 times)
Iain

Email

Smoking in pubs
« on: Jan 24th, 2005, 5:40pm »
Report to moderator | Quote | Modify | Remove | Like this!

We may as well get back on track,..........

I heard on the news today that a chain of pubs are going to ban smoking in all of its 600 establishments! (It might be wetherspoons....),I dont smoke but i think the powers at be have got a bit of a nerve to do that!!!!!
IP Logged
Xena
YaBB God

View Profile |

Re: Smoking in pubs
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24th, 2005, 5:46pm »
Report to moderator | Quote | Modify | Like this!

Ha!  Now that Iain is back I daresay we will have about fifty topics up and running before midnight!  Cheesy
IP Logged

I have many skills.
Iain

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 24th, 2005, 5:46pm »

Em,how about 100Huh LOLOLOLOL
IP Logged
Iain

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 24th, 2005, 5:47pm »

What about the links
IP Logged
Xena
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #4 on: Jan 24th, 2005, 5:47pm »

I was being conservative in my estimate!
IP Logged

I have many skills.
LB
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #5 on: Jan 24th, 2005, 6:20pm »

Not a bad idea tbh, even though im a smoker myself i absolutely hate going into smoky rooms and especially people smoking around me when im eating.
IP Logged
Bertie
YaBB God

View Profile | Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 24th, 2005, 6:37pm »

I scratched my head in wonderment when I arrived at an airport that banned smoking throughout but had a box to deposit dirty syringes in - am I missing the point?
IP Logged

Does being older make me wiser?
Jamlamont
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #7 on: Jan 24th, 2005, 9:31pm »

You're not missing the point, Fred. It's government tactics -evasive issues - focus on one thing to detract from the truth. I have something I must post on here tomorrow.  It's about who costs the NHS most and, let me tell you, smokers come bottom of the league - that's official.  

J.D. Wetherspoons won't be getting my custom anymore - and I was one of their best drunks!!

This is a long and tiresome subject but to put it succinctly, I have no desire to give up smoking and I shall not be doing so.  Particularly not to appease the half-pint brigade who sit there nursing a half of lager all night whilst bleating about the clean atmosophere.

I guess I'd be okay for the pubs if I became a hooker and a junkie though - no holds barred there!
IP Logged
Aussie_Pete
YaBB God

View Profile | Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 24th, 2005, 9:46pm »

Yer better get used to it Fred when you come out to live. Smoking in ALL Public places will be banned in Victoria and South Australia by mid 2006. Not sure about the other States but no doubt it'll be Australia wide not long after. Seeing as you asked "Yes" you are missing the point. You must have noticed the used syringe boxes in public toilet's etc all over Australia. It's the same arguement as issuing free condoms in Prison's. Not condoning drug taking or sex in prison but just trying to stop the stread of Aids and HIV. Skylab the smoking/alcohol aguement is a red herring. While someone vomiting on you ain't very nice it won't kill you, passive smoking will. The domestic violence issue is another matter but is certainly not just an alcohol problem. Many non drinking men are violent and many drinkers aren't. Got to admit that it's not always men that are violent but sometimes I'm ashamed of our gender. Jam' I don't smoke and can assure you I ain't no half pinter..Pete.  
IP Logged

Gees it's hard to be humble.
deafworm
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #9 on: Jan 24th, 2005, 11:26pm »

Personally i like this idea but thats because i cant stand the smell of smoke, have no real issue with others smoking i just dont like joining them with no choice. on the point of pubs i dont fit in the half pint group either! stepdad taught me to drink real ale and to drink it well lol
Sue
IP Logged
Feenix
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #10 on: Jan 24th, 2005, 11:31pm »

In Queensland smoking is banned in sports grounds,pubs,clubs,parks near playgrounds,the doors at workplaces and now there is talk of banning it (smoking) in cars.I'm glad I gave up 3 years ago or I would be really p'd off!
IP Logged

Bring back flower power(it's cheaper) !
deafworm
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #11 on: Jan 24th, 2005, 11:57pm »

guess that would be fairly annoying, though i have to say how annoying it is to visit the maternity unit at the local hospital to find people huddled in the dorrway of the unit smoking, of all places surely thats got to be one of the ones youd avoid, pregnant women and newborn babies and yet smoking there seems to be no worse than in a pub or club, so annoying, especially when you do your best to avoid it normally
Sue
IP Logged
Vix

Email

« Reply #12 on: Jan 25th, 2005, 1:27am »

Hooray for Wetherspoons.  As a non-smoker I really detest getting covered with the stench of stale cigarette smoke when I go in a pub.  I usually have to wash my hair before I go to bed, no matter how late it is, as I can't sleep with my hair smelling like a dirty ash tray.

There's a no-smoking pub/resaurant near me, which is so popular that you have to get in there really early to get a seat/table.

I don't let anyone smoke in my house or car.
IP Logged
Iain

Email

« Reply #13 on: Jan 25th, 2005, 6:13am »

on Jan 24th, 2005, 9:31pm, Jamlamont wrote:
You're not missing the point, Fred. It's government tactics -evasive issues - focus on one thing to detract from the truth. I have something I must post on here tomorrow.  It's about who costs the NHS most and, let me tell you, smokers come bottom of the league - that's official.  

J.D. Wetherspoons won't be getting my custom anymore - and I was one of their best drunks!!

This is a long and tiresome subject but to put it succinctly, I have no desire to give up smoking and I shall not be doing so.  Particularly not to appease the half-pint brigade who sit there nursing a half of lager all night whilst bleating about the clean atmosophere.

I guess I'd be okay for the pubs if I became a hooker and a junkie though - no holds barred there!

I dont know if anyone on here saw a "drunk and disorderly" special on BBC1 a few weeks back when they followed the police around dover and folkestone,with regard to binge drinkers,believe me although they only concentrated on the nightime,during the day there are the same amount of drinkers around town.Whats the point of having pubs that are open at 5 in the morning,the only thing i agree on is to have pubs open same time on sundays,as Mon-Sat (10/11am) and close at the same time......
IP Logged
Bertie
YaBB God

View Profile | Email

« Reply #14 on: Jan 25th, 2005, 6:55am »

I smoke, I hate it that I smoke, I hate the smell, the taste and the cost - but still I do it! I have chewed gum, stuck patches all over me till I looked like Mr Blobby and gone cold turkey and still I smoke.  What shall I do?

Sidetracked there for a minute by a feature on Morning TV saying that Essex are trying to shed the image of white stillettos and make it a significant cultural destination.

IP Logged

Does being older make me wiser?
Pages: 1 2 3  ...  11 Reply | Notify of replies | Send Topic | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »