Ilford Essex in Redbridge Greater London

Photos of Ilford Town Hall, Clock on Ilford High Road and The Exchange
You have found 'Welcome to Ilford' - the modern way to find out what's happening in Ilford, Essex and Redbridge Enjoy the message board.

Current Events
Find-a-Friend
Reviews
Ilford Facts
Need more info?
Feedback

This board is reactively moderated. If there is questionable content please use the Report to Moderator button next to the offending post. Keep this a friendly and positive place. Members may be banned who do not keep to the spirit of the forum. Posters must agree to the Rules.

Ilford Discussion board
Ilford Discussion board - Ilford is it Essex or East London?
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.

Home | Help | Search | Members | Login | Register

Ilford Discussion board
   Main Messageboard
   Main
(Moderator: Nigel R - Admin)
   Ilford is it Essex or East London?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ...  25 Reply | Notify of replies | Send Topic | Print
   Author  Topic: Ilford is it Essex or East London?  (Read 99448 times)
Dee
YaBB God

View Profile |

Ilford is it Essex or East London?
« on: Dec 23rd, 2003, 12:00am »
Report to moderator | Quote | Modify | Like this!

I used to be infuriated when we lived in Ilford to hear on the news 'Ilford - East London', it was usually because of murders,robberies or whatever but as far as I was concerned we lived in Essex. It still continues even now. Where is Ilford ,East London or Essex ?
IP Logged

Men drove me to drink, Bless them !!!!
Adrian
YaBB God

View Profile |

Re: Ilford is it Essex or East London?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23rd, 2003, 7:31am »

It's always been Essex to me Dee.........Adrian
IP Logged
Vicky

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 23rd, 2003, 9:06am »
Report to moderator | Quote | Modify | Remove | Like this!

Although it is one of the London Boroughs, and it comes within the M25 which surrounds London ....
IP Logged
s.r.

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 23rd, 2003, 9:58am »

it has got it's own postcode, too. IG is exclusive to Ilford and its surrounding area.  
Ilford is only a spit away from E12 or Manor Park, you can even see E12 from the top of the High Road!
Ilford is more a part of London than Essex because of its cosmopolitan style and community.
IP Logged
DKulling

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 23rd, 2003, 12:27pm »

Don't let my Mother hear anyone say Ilford is in London - she would be mortified.  Not saying she is at all a snob, but she would argue that it is in Essex, definately not London.  
Dawn
IP Logged
s.r.

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 23rd, 2003, 2:26pm »

I think officially it is part of Essex but as I said, London does spill in it.  Could we say, then that Ilford swings both ways.  

Lucky old Ilford!!
IP Logged
Basil

YaBB God

View Profile | WWW | Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 23rd, 2003, 10:32pm »

Ilford was, is and always will be in Essex, the county that creates more entrepreneurs, more wit and more get up and go than any other.

Wherever we Essex ex-pats are, the world is more enriched for it. The saying really is true that "You can take the boy/girl out of Essex, but you can't take the Essex out of the boy/girl.
Three cheers for all of us!
IP Logged

Bikers do it on two wheels,(or one if you're really good)
Aussie_Pete
YaBB God

View Profile | Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 24th, 2003, 1:16am »

I've always thought as Ilford as part of Essex.There's no doubt about it that in the past 10 or so years Essex gets mentioned on Aussie TV more than any other English county.Used to be Yorkshire but with The Bill etc;and Jamie Oliver I reckon it's Essex now.What do you think Smee....Pete.
IP Logged

Gees it's hard to be humble.
azzba
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #8 on: Dec 24th, 2003, 12:06pm »

Ilford has always been part of the County of Essex, although the creation of the London Borough of Redbridge (an amalgamation of Woodford & Wanstead and Ilford District Councils) in the early 70s has clouded the geographical issues. However, there is a groundswell of opinion that Redbridge (and Havering) should break from London altogether as they benefit very little from the profligate spending of the London Mayor, who favours inner and central London. The Mayors council tax precept has increased dramatically in recent years and the residents want to see it spent on local services, not congestion charging! Anyway, all the talk of boundary changes is a cynical ploy by the constitutional wreckers to regionalise the whole country so that were easier to integrate into a federal Europe! By the way, Essex County Cricket Club still play in Valentines Park each season on their travels around the County and long may they continue to do so!
IP Logged
s.r.

Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 24th, 2003, 4:26pm »

what?  Sorry, Azza I must have dropped off for a minute there, that was sooo boring. Get off your soapbox, mate, the elections aren't for a couple of years yet!

Ilford has a London dialling code, says it all really.

My mum just coined the phrase "Ilford - Gateway to the East."  

I dunno, something to do with Peter Sellars she says.
IP Logged
exab
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #10 on: Dec 24th, 2003, 4:45pm »

Ilford is and has been for many decades a part of the County of Essex and to all who decide in favour of it being a part of London, you are wrong.If and when the EU in all it's assine wisdom decides it's going to do away with all the counties and even England,it will be too late for you to do anything about.Dont laugh because that will come if you dont get your backs up and resist.The citizens of Essex down through history have been note for their backbone and fighting ability, don't let your ancestors down.Be a British Bulldog not a Brussels sprout.Running for Parliament will not help anything you need armed insurrection.A new Civil War,you would be surprised at the many thousands of true English men and women who would man the barricades.All wrinklies but never the less true English.
IP Logged

Eagles may fly high but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Rupertbear

Email

« Reply #11 on: Dec 24th, 2003, 5:26pm »

Re: the Peter Sellars/Ilford reference.  Comes from his monologue "Balham, Gateway to the South" on his "Songs for Swinging Sellars" album (late '50s).
IP Logged
mac

Email

« Reply #12 on: Dec 24th, 2003, 11:15pm »

i'm a foreigner (well a Scot actually) currently living and working in Ilford and i always think of it as being in London.  when i tell people back home where i am they always say Oh that's in London isn't it.
IP Logged
Owen Blacker

Email

« Reply #13 on: Dec 25th, 2003, 8:01pm »

Well, I pay a GLA precept in my council tax and pay absolutely nothing to Essex CC; I have an 020 dial code, we're not the only non-London postal district postcode in Greater London, plenty of bits of London are outside the North/South Circulars yet indisputably within Greater London. and our public transport is governed by Transport for London. And noone here has an Essex accent.

I think you could do with chilling out a little, exab, you're seeming a little paranoid about the EU to me!  ;o)

Merry xmas to everyone, anyways.
IP Logged
celticlady
YaBB Newbie

View Profile |

« Reply #14 on: Dec 25th, 2003, 8:17pm »

Sorry you lot but Ilford is in ESSEX.
It may have a london telephone exchange, but so does Surbiton in Surrey and that comes under a London Borough of whatever it is.
Romford also is under the London borough of Havering, as well as Hornchurch, Gidea Park, and Rainham so does this mean that they are in London then?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  ...  25 Reply | Notify of replies | Send Topic | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »