Ilford Essex in Redbridge Greater London

Photos of Ilford Town Hall, Clock on Ilford High Road and The Exchange
You have found 'Welcome to Ilford' - the modern way to find out what's happening in Ilford, Essex and Redbridge Enjoy the message board.

Current Events
Find-a-Friend
Reviews
Ilford Facts
Need more info?
Feedback

This board is reactively moderated. If there is questionable content please use the Report to Moderator button next to the offending post. Keep this a friendly and positive place. Members may be banned who do not keep to the spirit of the forum. Posters must agree to the Rules.

Ilford Discussion board
« Ilford Discussion board - Best parts of Redbridge Borough »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.

Home | Help | Search | Members | Login | Register

Ilford Discussion board
   Main Messageboard
   Main
(Moderator: Nigel R - Admin)
   Best parts of Redbridge Borough
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply | Notify of replies | Send Topic | Print
   Author  Topic: Best parts of Redbridge Borough  (Read 56034 times)
tkane
YaBB God

View Profile |

Re: Best parts of Redbridge Borough
« Reply #45 on: Jun 21st, 2012, 12:42am »
Report to moderator | Quote | Modify | Like this!

Redbridge overall is pretty affluent which is reflected in house prices. The central line is a big assett, as crossrail will be when it is completed in the next 5 years.  

However, a lot of the aspirational working class throughout the borough are doing extremely well for themselves and are moving further and further out into previously mainly "white" areas. Barkingside being a prime example. Therefore I expect within the next 10 years that even Wanstead and Woodford will not be immune to this phenomenon.  

This is not necessarily a bad thing, but it may be of concern to you.  

At 400k you can buy a decent house either on the Cathedral or Woods estate for easy access to Gants Hill Station.

I wouldn't recommend Barkingside as the quality housing is to the North of the station near Clayhall and that is too much of a walk every day for a commuter.  

Newbury park is hit and miss, a lot of the housing stock is made up of 270-300k terraces with few semi detached houses. But it is as good as you are going to get if your budget is 300k and you need a station close by.  

Redbridge has a lot of 400-450k semis but I don't personally like the area, it is pretty small and you don't really get a community feel to the place.  

Wanstead is nice but you don't get much house for your money. Woodford, big area so a lot to choose from.

With your 400k budget I would look at the Woods estate or some of the lesser affluent roads surrounding the Monkhams estate in Woodford Green.
IP Logged

High quality, higher-density developments are the only way that essential regeneration in Ilford can occur, whilst at the same time reducing the pressure on precious green-belt land!
Jamlamont
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #46 on: Jun 21st, 2012, 8:12pm »

Good Lord, if it isn't tkane returned to the board!!

I thought you had been vaporised by the gas from one of your exploding aspirations!

Grin
IP Logged
yanny
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #47 on: Jun 22nd, 2012, 9:52pm »

............maybe he heard the gossip that was going round saying that he WAS something more to do with pioneer point than just a passing pedestrian!!!  Laugning
IP Logged

Hambo
YaBB Full Member

View Profile |

« Reply #48 on: Nov 23rd, 2013, 8:40pm »

I started this thread back in June 2012 and it has always been my intention to come back and update it as I had really valuable feedback from the contributors of this post.

After a long wait and research finally moved to the Commonwealth Estate part of Ilford after seeing properties in nearly all parts of the borough (certainly visited all parts often enough).  So my feedback on what may help others thinking of moving to Redbridge.  So a Newbie's perspective:

What I found:

- largest properties for the money I found are on the Commonwealth and they get bigger as you go into Seven Kings, Goodmayes etc (prices also drop but I found those areas to be a bit remote for me - not near enough to a tube station).
- best transport links are to be found from Ilford station to Gants Hill as there are many buses, train and tube in easy reach.
- I chose the Commonwealth Estate based on size of house, transport links, near to shops, library and park.  However, 'pretty' looking  properties at least from the outside are to be found in other parts of the borough where communities are a bit more ethnically mixed.

The bad:

- Council really needs to sort out the drunks that hang around Ilford Shopping Centre.  They don't cause trouble but can bring the area down.
- Round the Ilford Exchange it's a bit more hectic and rougher than other parts of the borough.  Local shopping centres will always attract a range of people.  But it is not that much different than other parts of London and certainly no worse that the likes of parts of Hackney, Wood Green etc.  If you prefer a quieter environment than other parts of the borough will suit you better.  But the side roads round the Commonwealth especially when you are 5 min walk plus from the station are dead quiet.

The borough has decent shops and Valentines park is gorgeous.

Being a newbie to the area my views of it may change in time.  But I find that for your money you will be hard pressed to find many places in London that offer you a decent amount of house, near a station and with shopping facilities.  I looked in East, North and West London when considering.  But the investment seems to coming to the East and with Crossrail things will only get better Smiley  

Thanks again to all the contributors of this post.
IP Logged
Suli
YaBB God

View Profile | Email

« Reply #49 on: Nov 24th, 2013, 7:02pm »

on Nov 23rd, 2013, 8:40pm, Hambo wrote:
really valuable feedback  

what a nice thing to say - the Ilford site has some value  Grin
IP Logged
Toby
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #50 on: Nov 24th, 2013, 9:07pm »

I haven't been there for a long time but back in the day the desirable area was off The Drive and off Cranbrook Rd.
Roads like Redcliffe Gardens had big double fronted houses occupied by one family.
Does anyone know if this is still the case today or have they turned into flats/boarding houses.
Clayhall was a nice area as well,I had many Jewish friends who lived there and it was a nice tight community.
What's it like today?
IP Logged
Hambo
YaBB Full Member

View Profile |

« Reply #51 on: Nov 25th, 2013, 6:26pm »

Some of the houses are still as they were.  In fact I was interested in a property on Redcliffe Gardens, and end of terrace property.  But the one opposite looked like it had been divided into a number of bedsits so it put me off the property but road itself was nice.

I can't comment on Clayhall as I am new to the area but I found it for me anyway to be quite cut off.  Would probably suit someone who was a car driver but if you have to rely on public transport to get around then I would imagine it would be a bit difficult.

on Nov 24th, 2013, 9:07pm, Toby wrote:
I haven't been there for a long time but back in the day the desirable area was off The Drive and off Cranbrook Rd.
Roads like Redcliffe Gardens had big double fronted houses occupied by one family.
Does anyone know if this is still the case today or have they turned into flats/boarding houses.
Clayhall was a nice area as well,I had many Jewish friends who lived there and it was a nice tight community.
What's it like today?

IP Logged
Lions9
YaBB Newbie

View Profile |

« Reply #52 on: Dec 31st, 2013, 5:05pm »

Clayhall is a decent area for Families. I live in Clayhall, the houses here vary a lot in terms of size. Prices here are rising fast as demand is never ending.
We've had 2 properties sell in my road in the last 2 years or so, one of the Houses a few doors away in which a Jewish family moved, from NW London.

The other one has a Greek family, not sure where from.

We are on friendly terms with the Jewish family and they said they moved to Clayhall as prices were to high in NW London (Brentcross).

They moved here cause the area had the same type of properties as NW London and were better value, the Jewish Schools, Synagogues and a Kosher butchers were a deciding factor for them too.
IP Logged
Topsy
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #53 on: May 25th, 2014, 3:43pm »

Ilford was recently voted the second worst place in Britain!   Sad

IP Logged
yanny
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #54 on: May 26th, 2014, 3:22pm »

what was the first Huh
IP Logged

Topsy
YaBB God

View Profile |

« Reply #55 on: May 26th, 2014, 7:43pm »

East London was first, which could also cover Ilford.
IP Logged
Hambo
YaBB Full Member

View Profile |

« Reply #56 on: May 27th, 2014, 6:01am »

How did they come to that conclusion  Huh I can think of many more far worse places in Britain.

on May 25th, 2014, 3:43pm, Topsy wrote:

Ilford was recently voted the second worst place in Britain!   Sad

IP Logged
Hambo
YaBB Full Member

View Profile |

« Reply #57 on: Mar 21st, 2020, 12:47pm »
Report to moderator | Quote | Modify | Like this! | 1 person likes this

I thought I would send an update to this thread, now that I am approaching this September 2013 - having been resident in Ilford for almost 7 years.  This thread/forum was a great help.

The pros first: I still think that the properties that you get this this of London, value for money wise (price per foot), facilities etc.  still live up to what I thought they would.  Ilford Exchange is to get a remake in parts to incorporate from next year a new 'Community Market' opposite the Cineworld Cinema.

Crossrail should have been up and running by now, but we've been assured that will happen next year (2021) and the rebuild of Ilford Station is underway (long overdue).  Some of the new stock of trains are up and running though and they are an improvement, as are the 364 buses that frequent where I live in particular.

So parks, transport links and facilities are all great.  On last count there were at least 5 chain gyms here and many of them 24 hour.

What I don't like about Ilford and London overall is just how populated it's all getting.  In particular the council is hellbent on building loads of new flats concentrated in Ilford and surely that would just overwhelm local services.  Try boarding a train during rush hour either departing Ilford station or trying to get home and you'll see what I mean.

However, I'm fairly sure that many of the new apartment blocks (flats as I prefer to call it) are empty.  Prices in London are ridiculous and perhaps coming out of the EU will bring property prices down.

Traffic and getting a parking spot at the local Lidl/Farmfoods retail car park near the Police Station is pot luck.  Nearly always overcrowded, and queues to get shopping down there, well it can take time especially on a weekend.

Overall, I'm happy with the area, except just how crowded it can get at times.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply | Notify of replies | Send Topic | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »